Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different between 2960x series, 3750, 4507 & 6509 switches

What are the major differences among 2960x, 3750, 4507 & 6509. 

7 Replies 7

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

Good luck with that! Haven't you got a Cisco partner that can help or is this just a question related to Cisco exams?

3750 has been replaced by the 3650 / 3850 Series. 6509 has been replaced by 6807 chassis with Sup2T and multirate linecards.

You're better off stating what you actually need the switch model to do.

I agree with Shillings.

Short answers:

• 2960 is a layer 2 access layer switch.  They go up to 48 ports and can be stacked.
  • 3750 is a layer 3 switch.  They go up to 48 ports and can be stacked.,
  • 4507 is a layer 3 chassis switch.  You can put in up to 5 x 48 port blades (240 ports).  They are great for dense access layer requirements.  They can also take dual supervisors for high availability and support features like ISSU.
  • 6509 is a layer 3 chassis core switch.  It has the highest performance (and price tag) of the lot.  You can get many blades such as Firewall.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Only saw p.dath's posting after posting my other post.  As his and my post appear they disagree a little, just wanted to add some notes that the apparent differences are due to level of detail.

For example, I noted the 2960x is "mainly" L2 because I recall it can support some very basic routing.

I also noted the 3750 is L2/L3, because usage often depends on license.  The original series 3750 with IPBase (and the latest 3750-X with LANBase) are generally used as L2 switches, but with an IPService license, the switch is often used in a L3 role.

Also know, I recall, the original 2960, not the 2960x, cannot be stack.  Further, the 3750 stack offers more bandwidth and I believe its fail over is "better".  (NB: The 3750E or 3750-X offer double and "better" stack bandwidth than the original 3750 series.  The 3650/3850 offer even more stack bandwidth, so much so, they might have more than early gen 4507s or 6509s.)

P.dath notes the 6509 "has the highest performance", but that depends on actual chassis module and installed supervisor(s) and line cards.  It certainly can have the highest performance, but a latest generation 4507 can out perform an early gen 6509.

I suspect Shillings "good luck" was because of the complexity involved in comparing these different devices, which both my and p.dath's are only touching upon.

I support your response.  I was commenting more from how Cisco pitch the product lines.

Thanks for your support. Now I am satisfied with your answers.

I suspect Shillings "good luck" was because of the complexity involved in comparing these different devices, which both my and p.dath's are only touching upon.

Absolutely. Hope I didn't come across as unhelpful to the OP. The question seemed too daunting for me but the OP has been given a good start. I'm still curious what has motivated the original question as I don't visit the forum very often. You've probably got some idea already. Maybe we'll find out shortly.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 2960x and 3750 are single unit switches, usually having 24 or 48 copper ports, which can be stacked, the 4507 and 6509 are chassis switches.  The 2960x is mainly a L2 switch, the 3750 a L2/L3 switch.

The 4507 and 6509 capabilities vary much based on actual chassis model, and its installed supervisor(s) and line cards.  The 4507 generally only supports LAN type of line cards, while the 6509 can also take WAN type of line cards, service modules and supports IA switches.

As also noted by Shillings, the 3750 series is EoL (the latest variant, the 3750-X might be too) and the 6509 chassis, if not officially EoL, is very close to being so.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: