Views
Helpful
Replies

Different output 'show vlan brief' and 'show vlan id 1'

Phil007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

Could anyone explain to me, why am I seeing different outputs from these two commands?

Let me show you an example:

SWITCH1#sh vlan br

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1    default                          active    Gi0/2

SWITCH1#sh vlan id 1

VLAN Name Status Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1 default active Fa0/23, Gi0/1, Gi0/2

Why I can see different ports assigned to VLAN?
Is there a way how to see everything using one command? We have multiple VLANs and I going one by one slows me down.

(think it has to do something with the trunk?) 

Thank you very much!

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

See references below : apparently show vlan brief , insists to be brief in all it's wisdom...

M.

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/lanswitch/command/reference/lsw_book/lsw_s2.html

brief

(Optional) Displays only a single line for each VLAN, naming the VLAN, status, and ports.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Interesting.

I looked at a 2960 switch and noted the same. As you suggest, I think it does have something to do with trunk ports, where they don't show up in the "brief" query if they are allowing VLAN 1.

If you do "show interface status" it will identify all the ports in VLAN 1 and any ports that are trunking just say "trunk" for the VLAN. So it is possible the "show vlan brief" parses the interface status information.

I know this is not a definitive answer, but hopefully offers some sort of explanation.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card