cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA essential licenses on Catalyst 9200 series switches.

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that you need to have some initial license on these switches but what I don't understand is why our vendor is charging a support line item for the license.  From what I have read the cost of the license cover the actual "license" and the support of the license.  Is there something that can explain this to me?  Is this an unnecessary charge from the vendor?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, there are SKU which, essentially, is a "smartnet" for an e-license.  

There is no need for this.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, there are SKU which, essentially, is a "smartnet" for an e-license.  

There is no need for this.  

Thanks for your reply.  Have additional question.

Was told this:  "Software support is optional, but we’ve configured the hardware with Smartnet Solution Support, so the software Solution Support is a mandatory attach to the DNA license subscription."

Can hardware be purchased without Smartnet support or it there a different Smartnet that needs to be ordered with the hardware to remove the "optional" software support?

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

these are the part #s we were provided with:

C9200-NW-E-48

CAB-TA-NA

C9200-DNA-E-48

CON-SSTCM-C92E48

C9200-DNA-E-48-3Y

NETWORK-PNP-LIC

PWR-C5-BLANK

C9200-NM-NONE

C9200-NM-4X=

C9200-STACK-KIT=

C9200-STACK

STACK-T4-50CM

PWR-C6-1KWAC=

CAB-TA-NA

SFP-10G-SR=

@brian.koomen wrote:
Was told this:  "Software support is optional, but we’ve configured the hardware with Smartnet Solution Support, so the software Solution Support is a mandatory attach to the DNA license subscription."

I think you need to look for another vendor.  Either this vendor is totally ignorant or trying to rip you off.  

Anyone buying Catalyst 9k switches only need to purchase SmartNet to raise TAC cases.  There is no need to purchase SmartNet to RMA because all Catalyst 9k switches come with Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty upon purchase. 

There is also no need to purchase SmartNet to download software because it is also free:  Cisco Catalyst IOS Software Update Program for Cisco Catalyst 9200/X, 9300/X, 9400/X, 9500/X and 9600/X Series Switches 

No one can escape not paying for DNA License.  Even if there is no DNAC appliance, everyone will pay for the DNAC "tax".  However, even without any DNAC appliance, when the DNAC license lapse, nothing will happen. 

So, in essence, there is really no need to put a "SmartNet" on a DNAC license unless the vendor is either "special" or trying to rip you off.

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for  your help!!!  Very good info.   That is what I thought.  Unfortunately you try to get another local CISCO vendor and they cry about the "CISCO agreement" that makes the vendor CISCO exclusive to them.  A new vendor wants you to break this agreement with the current vendor before they will even talk to you.  The only thing I can do is try and research and use the forum to keep them honest.  Unfortunately, this is time away from doing my job.  Thanks again.

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what we are being told:  

"It is optional, but we’ve configured the hardware with Smartnet Solution Support, so the software Solution Support is a mandatory attach to the DNA license subscription. DNA is required for the 9k switches, but you have the option to order without Smartnet or lower the level of smartnet support."

@brian.koomen wrote:
but you have the option to order without Smartnet or lower the level of smartnet support."

This aligns to what I said about only getting SmartNet for TAC Cases only.

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

Does the level of smart net requiring the DNA support? Such as the Smart Net Total Care without RMA versus Smart Net Total Care NBD......

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

The CISCO partner (after pressuring them) came to their senses.  The partner supposedly reached out to their CISCO rep and "now fully understand" the DNA software support is optional.    

Good outcome.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco