cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to create all VLANS on all switches?

Joris Syen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some minor experience with Cisco switches but this is the case:

We will create a ring of 8 Catalyst 2960 (layer 2) switches that are connected via optical fiber.

The switches would be connected to each other using trunking on the fiber port.

VTP is not recommended by our supplier.

Now I am wondering, do I need to create every VLAN on every switch in order to make it able to trunk that VLAN?

If I would like a device in VLAN 66 on switch1 and on switch8, do I need to create VLAN 66 then also on switch 2-7?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Joris

9 Replies 9

Colin Mans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joris,

Yes, if you plan to not use VTP, you will need to create all VLANs on all switches.In your case, this would mean that VLAN66 needs to be on switches 1 through 8.

Hope this answers your questions.

Hello,

So even if I configure the Trunk ports for "ALL VLAN", I need to add these VLANs on every switch?

Yes Joris,

The "ALL VLAN" is telling to allow all  VLANs that are created on the switch to be allowed over the Trunk port.

You can verify the VLANs that are currently on the switch with the command "show vlan".

To verify which VLANs are going over the trunk link, you can use the "show interfaces trunk"-command.

Just curious....say he had 100+ switches, could he not setup a VTP server, then all others as clients....setup the vlans on the server...then when all was said and done, change them all to VTP transparent?

Yes Jimmy,

This should also work, you can set up VTP to configure the VLANs and set it to transparant afterwards.      

Would it be a good idea to just create all 255 VLANs beforehand on all switches using VTP and then disable VTP?

Then afterwords, we can see what VLANs will be used and what not? So if we then need an extra VLAN in the future, we can just pick one of the 255?

This is not advisable.

first off all, you will have a larger than needed vlan database.

Secondly, this will make you have to configure all VLANs seperately on all switches, or make use of VTP.

1. Larger then needed VLAN database, is this a disadvantage?

2. I prefer configuring more during initial integration, then having to update 8 or 9 switches every time I add a VLAN. This will be a lot of more work compared with doing this initially, this can be done via script or VTP before startup so there is no risc. Doing this during production seems more risc to me.

3. I will not have to take a new backup of 8 switches every time I add a VLAN, because the VLANs are already added?

So the only real disadvantage I see is the VLAN database that is larger then needed, is that a performance drop?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You could also just ignore your supplier's recommendation against using VTP.

The notable concern using VTP is accidentally erasing all your defined VLANs within your VTP domain.  This can be pretty well avoided by defining a VTP domain and using a VTP password, along with only having one switch defined in the server role.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card