Views
Helpful
Replies

do not get full 1000mbps speed on GE-DCARD-ESW both direction

central_bank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

I have NM-16ESW card installed in one of my 3845 router. Below is the sh inventory output

NAME: "16 Port 10BaseT/100BaseTX EtherSwitch", DESCR: "16 Port 10BaseT/100BaseTX EtherSwitch"

PID: NM-16ESW          , VID: V01 , SN: FOC11482484

NAME: "Gigabit(1000BaseT) module for EtherSwitch NM", DESCR: "Gigabit(1000BaseT) module for EtherSwitch NM"

PID: GE-DCARD-ESW      , VID: V01 , SN: FOC11454FW6

Is the Gig port available here can be used for uplink?

I found following comment at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet09186a00801aca3e.html

"GE-DCARD-ESW: This optional 1000BaseT Gigabit Ethernet port for NM-16ESW and NMD-36-ESW can be used for a gigabit connection for a file server or for intra-chassis stacking of the Cisco EtherSwitch module. Stacking is supported in Cisco IOS release 12.2(11)T and beyond"

When I connect one laptop on the Gig port on GE-DCARD-ESW and other laptop on on board gig port, I get 900mbps speed only in one direction (on board gig to gig on switch module) while in other direction I get only 100mbps.

Any Idea?

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remember that the throughput is a factor not only of the switch and router ports but also of the PC and their NICs. It is about as likely that the performance that you are seeing is due to the PC as it is due to the switch port.

Also it is very difficult to get a good measurement of capacity when you have one end station communicating with another end station. If you have multiple sources generating multiple streams of traffic to multiple destinations you are likely to get a better measure of capacity.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card