cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do you need a VLAN on each router? or just 1 router with a static route?

JSnyder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I've got a pretty simple question probably for most of you. 

We are changing some equipment and the VLAN / Static Routes are different, most of them are really bad so we are trying to clean them up.

we have

Site A

VLAN1 10.27.0.0/24 at Site A1 (Route: 10.248.0.0/24 via 10.127.0.1)

Site B

VLAN2 10.127.0.0/24 at Site B1

VLAN3 10.248.0.0/24 at Site B2

Do I need to have VLAN1,2,3 on my Site A and B Router? or JUST the Static route from Site A1 -> B2?

and VLAN1/2 on Site A and VLAN3 on Site B

My previous configuration has both, static routes and vlan interfaces.. the new equipment (meraki) tell's us we cant have a static route if the subnet is contained in a local interface.

So I was going to change it, but I wanted to ask for any advise.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

ntalbot91
Level 1
Level 1

If they are directly connected, than you should not need a static route for all the subnets. They will already be in the table as connected. You should just need the static route on Site A > Site B Vlan 3 like you had in your post.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you give more information, what is the mean of Site 1 and Site 2

remote site WAN or they are part of LAN. ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, Site A is physically located away from Site B, their connected by dark fiber so they only see the router at each site, they do not go over the WAN their on the LAN.

If they are part of the LAN, i suggest to have Router having Gateway, Switch act as Layer 2 switch.

but another issue here is - if you do not have redundent link to between site, L2 have difficulties.

So if only 1 Link betweek sites. suggest to have  have L3 interface resides in local site exchange static routes between sites.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card