cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does 3750 / 3560 switch support eigrp or ospf?

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I believe the answer is yes, but incorperating more layer 3 features of our 3750's, I want to know if they fully support EIGRP or OSPF?

Our core switching has this IOS on it.

c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-53.SE.bin

An ancillerary switch that I plan to upgrade is running:

c3750-ipbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin

And another switch (a 3560x) that I have is running:

c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin

Also for a small business of 4 locations, each with a 10mbps fiber and a 1.5mbps mpls... wouldn't you say EIGRP would be easier?  Want to look at making the failover automatic if the 10mbps fiber goes down between a site, then the network fails over to 1.5mbps mpls. When the fiber returns in service then the network automatically preferr the fiber again. 

Currently we use static routes and if there is a provider outage we have to manually edit the config to flip flop the routes.

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The support for EIGRP and OSPF between 3560 and 3750 is, to my best knowledge, identical. Be careful, though, about the feature set and/or licenses of your IOS. Full OSPF and EIGRP support is available only with IP SERVICES feature. The IP BASE feature set has only limited EIGRP and OSPF support (EIGRP works only in Stub mode; OSPF has an artificial limit on the number of routes). So avoid IP BASE if you need full EIGRP or OSPF.

Also for a small business of 4 locations, each with a 10mbps fiber and a  1.5mbps mpls... wouldn't you say EIGRP would be easier?  Want to look  at making the failover automatic if the 10mbps fiber goes down between a  site, then the network fails over to 1.5mbps mpls. When the fiber  returns in service then the network automatically preferr the fiber  again.  

EIGRP is initially easier to configure; it may be more obscure to debug if unexpected issues occur. However, much of your choice is influenced by your MPLS VPN provider. If you are using MPLS L3VPN, the EIGRP would need to be supported also by your provider, as the provider will be in the charge of redistributing between the EIGRP and his BGP. If your MPLS VPN provider runs BGP towards you, or if you are running L2VPN then this is not relevant.

Please feel welcome to ask further.

Best regards,

Peter

hello gents,

this may be completely out of the topic, but just to let you know i've just heard EIGRP will be an open standard.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6599/ps6630/qa_C67-726299.html

Thank you Peter, that is very helpful.

Our main link between sites is fiber virtual point to point.  Verizon assigned us VLAN id's for each site.  We use 802.1q in q to make sure our sites talk correctly.

While our backup link is an MPLS through Windstream, we VPN over it just to keep our traffic encrypted.  We create tunnel interfaces with an ipsec profile.

Though the issue is everything is static routed.  An issue with the verizon fiber is that even if the link goes down, the switch or router does not think its down because the physical link is still up between it and the canoga perkins ethernet to fiber handoff device.

I want to design a new configuration in my lab and test EIGRP and see if that does what I want with automatic failover.  From what I've been studying it seems its what I need.  I could establish costs on these links that ensure the faster bandwidth fiber is preferred.  But if it doesn't recieve hello packets on that link, re-route over the slower 1.5 mbps vpn over our T1 MPLS.

The MPLS is a "blended port" in case our internet goes down (50mbps fiber) at our main office.  This way we can still remotely SSH into a remote sites router and for DR purposes make some configuration changes so that office can get internet access (though slow at 768k).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card