cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 is supported in VSS with 4506-E with SUP-8E ?

I have a pair of standalone Cisco 4506-E chassis each populated with WS-X45-SUP6-E and WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 line cards and other line cards.

Now I'm goin to replace the WS-X45-SUP6-E with WS-X45-SUP8-E in both chassis and convert them into VSS with Cisco IOS-XE 3.8.5E.

Now I'm concerned about this older generation linecard WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 being supported in VSS.

I can see that this linecard is support by the chassis (WS-C4506-E) and the new Supervisor (WS-X45-SUP8-E) but i couldn't see this linecard listed under VSS Hardware Requirements under Catalyst 4500 Series Switch Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide Cisco IOS XE Release 3.8.xE 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-8-0E/15-24E/configuration/guide/xe-380-configuration/vss.html#41480

and actually it is mentioned in the same document that I should remove older generation linecards when converting from standalone to VSS mode.

But in another Cisco Support community thread Cisco employee (Furose M) suggest this fact "There is no special requirement for a linecard to be part of VSS. as long as the linecard can work with the chassis, it should work with VSS. The requirement comes in when we need to have VSL on the Linecard. not all the linecards are VSL capable."

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/4461-docs-network-infrastructure/article-id/4707

So If the above statement is true then this linecard is supported as i'm not using it for VSL link.

Appreciate your help and experience eon the same.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

X4548-GB-RJ45 is not supported in VSS (documentation HERE).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

X4548-GB-RJ45 is not supported in VSS (documentation HERE).

Thanks Leo for you answer ...Now it is clear it is officially unsupported
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card