cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

domain discovery in VTP version 1 and 2

xiaoliangyue
Level 1
Level 1

i remember VTP v1&2 can discover and join a domain automatically, but can't find detailed documents. There're a bunch of switches running vtp v2 in a client network, and don't have domain name configured, i want make sure the existing switches don't join the new domain i will add on a new switch.

thanks!

3 Replies 3

abhischa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If a new Catalyst is attached in the border of two VTP domains it keeps the domain name of the first switch that sends it a summary           advertisement.

The only way to attach this switch to another VTP domain is to           manually set (In privileged EXEC mode vtp domain domain-name) a different VTP domain name.

If you do not want to run VTP on this newly added switch just make it transparent using 'vtp mode transparent' in the global configuration mode.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

-Abhishek.

Please rate if you found the content useful.

thanks for the reply, Abhishek.

i've figured out the interaction of vtp versions in lab.

vtp v1&2 don't send out advertisements if no domain name is configured. they'll use the domain name that is contained in first v1 or 2 advertisement they receive, which is so-called "domain discovery".

vtp v3 must have a domain name configured. v3 doesn't send out v1 or 2 advertisement proactively, hence a v1 or 2 switch can't pick up domain name from a v3 switch automatically.

this will satisfy my situation, since the new switches i'll install will run vtp v3.

Oh ok.. Glad to know it will work out well for you.

Cheers

Abhishek.

-Please rate if this content is useful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card