cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade 3750X w/ IP Base to LAN Base for Stacking

gmcvb
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WS-C3750X-12S-S (IP Services) that I THINK I'd like to downgrade to LAN Base so I can stack it with a WS-C3750X-48T-L that is already LAN Base...

Can I do this?  Any reasons I shouldn't?  Small environment, isn't much routing at all going on here...Thanks!       

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can.

how do I do that

I don't see an image for it

That is because it is not an image it is a license.

However you will loose more than just routing abilities.

so if i where you i would go the other way.

I would buy a license upgrade to upgrade the Lan base to ip base instead.

otherwise you will loose alot of functionality that you might want/need such as eem, powerstacking and so on.

to buy a license to upgrade contact your local cisco rep.

to change to a license from ip base to Lan base contact cisco licensing

Licensing@cisco.com

good luck

HTH

gmcvb:  How did you resolve your dilemma? When you said, "I don't see an image for it", are you referring to how, when you go to cisco's website to download a newer flash, like 150(9)SE2, the only option is IPBASE? There is the Universal - they put it there to tease you because you can't download unless you have a credential - why do they put it there if you can't download it - oh well.  Did you ever find a way to downgrade IPBASE to LANBASE and bump the flash up to 150(9)SE2? I know this post is over 4 years old and if I had posted it I would have forgotten about it by now. But any help would be most excellent and I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Flux

fitzgerald.d
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think you can actually. I ran into the same problem and Cisco TAC told me that you couldn't do that with the 12S-S or 24S-S model.

If you purchased an IPBASE license, but wants a LANBASE license please try the "license boot level lanbase" command to downgrade to LAN Base. Note that IOS 15 has the RTU with the license that allows downgrading.

Chris Gallup

THANK YOU! ran this command to downgrade my switch from IP base to LAN base and it is now in the stack!

I tried that too, and it worked, but after reloading the switch, when I ran "show version", now it says, License Type: Default. No valid license found.  Will it run like that and work?  I mean, I am telnetted into it right now, so it must be working. So I just wondered if the same thing happened to you and if you were able to safely ignore the "no valid license" issue.

Many thanks,

Sam S,

Hello,

I also have problems adding a switch to the stack due to licensing mismatch.

The switch that I can’t add to the stack has an ipbase license and is running the following Images:

Switch Ports Model             SW Version            SW Image

------ ----- -----             ----------            ----------

*   5 18    WS-C3750X-12S      15.0(2)SE11           C3750E-IPBASEK9-M

If I run license boot level lanbase I get the following error

*Jan 2 02:16:04.992: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = c3750x Next reboot level = lanbase and License = No valid license found

As I’m trying to load a lower level license should I get this warning?

How can I overcome this issue?

Thanks,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card