Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrading Cisco 3650 from 16.6.5 to 16.3.8

Rene MUGIRANEZA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

I have WS-C3650-24PWD-S Switch. I put "cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.08.SPA.bin" to the flash unfortunately I am unable to install it.
What is right command to be used to install it and so that the switch can boot to this new IoS?
Remember, The switch is currently running 16.6.5 and I want to downgrade it to 16.3.8.
Regards;ios.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi
This is the exact guide if you want to follow it , see the steps for each downgrade upgrade option , read the notes so you dont get caught out , each step can be slightly different

Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Everest
Upgrading or Downgrading from Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x to a Cisco IOS XE 16.x.x Release in Install Mode

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3650.html#pgfId-1419735

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The easiest way is to boot the 3850 into BUNDLE mode using the .bin file you have on flash.

Firstly you need to ensure you have copied the .bin file to all of the switches, then issue the following commands:

no boot system
boot system switch all flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.08.SPA.bin
wr mem
reload

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb Rupik;

Thank you for your response.

Do I need to enter in Global Configuration mode to use this command: boot system switch all flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.08.SPA.bin because the switch is not accepting this command in Privileged EXEC Mode

There is another command (in Privileged EXEC Mode): 

Switch# request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.08.SPA.bin new auto-copy

What is the difference between those two commands?

Thank you.

Hi
This is the exact guide if you want to follow it , see the steps for each downgrade upgrade option , read the notes so you dont get caught out , each step can be slightly different

Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Everest
Upgrading or Downgrading from Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x to a Cisco IOS XE 16.x.x Release in Install Mode

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3650.html#pgfId-1419735

Thank you @Mark Malone ;

The issue is resolved.

Blessings

The boot system commands must be entered in configuration mode.

The commands I am suggesting are frankly the ones with the least number of pitfalls and will place the switch in BUNDLE mode. The second request platform command will place the switch in INSTALL mode which is the preferred state. Follow the links provided by @Mark Malone 

cheers,

Seb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card