cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DSCP in VLANs?

Matt Hoppes
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a little foggy on the question to this question and hoping someone can shed some light on it.

Are DSCP tags in VLANs honored?   I know how DSCP works in a non-VLAN environment... for some reason I was thinking DSCP didn't work in a VLAN, but I could -- hopefully -- be wrong.

If DSCP tags in VLANs are honored and prioritized, then my next question is are they prioritized only in/for that VLAN, or is it for all traffic on that switch port regardless of which VLAN they are in? (e.g. three VLANs 1,2,3.  VLAN 2 has a voice DSCP packet so it will get priority over other traffic in VLAN 1 and 3)?

2 Replies 2

mikull.kiznozki
Level 1
Level 1

Are DSCP tags in VLANs honored?

Yes, they are if the packets are tagged as per the vlan id on the sw.

I remember doing wos on a bunch of H3C switches with a VLAN polices and it worked like a charm.

downstream sw's had an inbound policy and my core had an outbound policy to the sip service.

inbound to downstream as phones are connected directly.

if H3c's support it, cisco will support it!

Mikull,

Thanks that's good to know.

The only outstanding part to my question, then, is how are DSCP values in one VLAN treated in relation to other VLAN traffic?  Are the DSCP values only for that VLAN?  Or do they work across VLANs as in my example?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: