cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual stack host - multiple vlans switchport Access

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm a little confused and cannot find any kind of answer.  Which seems odd as I would think this would be a major

step in the ipv6 implementation.

So the question/scenario....  A dual stacked server using one ethernet cable into a 6513.  Currently the ports are using a single vlan, switchport access vlan 204.  So I have created a new vlan for my ipv6 servers.  I can't configure a port for multiple vlans, unless I trunk, which I cant imagaine having to do that for every server on my network...

I did read one item from Cisco that stated:

VLAN considerations for IPv6 are the same as for IPv4. When dual-stack configurations are used then both IPv4 and IPv6 traverse the same VLAN. The use of Private VLANs is not included in any of the deployment profiles described in this document and it was not tested.

That makes no sense to me.  Are they saying, that it would use my existing ipv4 vlan??

Confused.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Hey,

yeha that's the same I got on my IPv6 training a few weeks ago. Dual-Stack Server/PC's can use the same vlan as the IPv4.

So, I would do that in this way for a dual-stack configuration. Just one vlan.

Just for information, you have to take care of your clients, for vista an Win7, IPv6 is the prefered way...In a dual-stack configuration if the client "think" he can use IPv6 he will do that no matter if the network is ready for that.

regards,

Sebastian

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

So that you can have a visual for this, which may help you understand how this works, your interface would look something like this (again, only one vlan needed):

interface Vlan7

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ipv6 address 2001:522:202:1::/64 eui-64

end

In esscence, with both protocols configured this interface can now speak both ipv4 and ipv6.  Your server can talk through this interface using either (or both) protocol(s).

Thanks for the info.  And that makes sense for a L3 interface but what I'm talking about is an L2 interface.

for example:

swtichport access vlan 200

so 200 is used for exsting ipv4 range.  I now have 4 new ipv6 ranges.  I'm not sure I understand how I can add another vlan (ipv6) to that switchport.

You don't need another vlan.  You wouldn't be able to configure a port for two access vlans at once anyway.  What you could do is configure the new ipv6 ranges as ipv6 secondary addresses.

Example:

interface Vlan200

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ipv6 address 2001:522:202:1::1/64 eui-64

ipv6 address 2001:522:211:1::1/64 eui-64 secondary

ipv6 address 2001:522:222:1::1/64 eui-64 secondary

ipv6 address 2001:522:233:1::1/64 eui-64 secondary

end

Make sense?

Please rate helpful posts.

Nope... 

These are not L3 interfaces.... (Interface200).  These are 200 servers that need to be connected to 200 access ports.  Dual stacked, one ipv4 add and one ipv6 add.  One cable connected to one switchport.

Got it.

A port cannot be in more than one vlan at a time (unless there is a voice vlan along with the access vlan).  You got me on this one.  You don't really have any options that I know of.  One port, one access vlan.....that's how it works

To be clear, what you're looking for isn't dual stack on the network side, just on the server side.

Message was edited by: Antonio Knox

I find it odd the lack of information regarding the access ports.  With Dual Stack being the primary implemenation method for ipv6, you would think there would be more information regarding the access port.  Has anyone implemented this on a large scale?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card