Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate IP 0.0.0.0 Conflict on 802.1X Windows 7 Clients

sawosankung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ever since we implemented ISE 1.x with 802.1X authentication about two years ago, a number of our Windows 7 user stations occassionally report the well known error message: "duplicate ip 0.0.0.0" . Only wired stations are affected and it happens randomly but not frequently. On further investigation I found that the conflicting device mac address in every case is in fact the bia of the switch port that the Windows 7 PC client is connected. The characteristics of each case is consistent with the Cisco device tracking process as detailed in TAC Document ID: 116529, Updated: Oct 09, 2013
     http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/8021x/116529-problemsolution-product-00.html

We have Cisco C6500 access switches with IOS Ver: 12.2(33)SXJ1.The output of "Show ip device track all" command on the switches:
 access-switch#sh ip device track all
 IP Device Tracking = Enabled
 IP Device Tracking Probe Count = 3
 IP Device Tracking Probe Interval = 30

I found that Cisco recommends three Solution options as follows:
 1. ip device tracking probe delay 10
 2. ip device tracking probe use-svi
 3. ip device tracking probe interval <seconds>

However, the ios only shows track probe "count" and "interval" for change. There is no option to change the probe delay or use-svi in this IOS.

What is your advice?

Many thanks.
Sankung

2 Replies 2

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may have a look at this document if you have not seen it yet. It goes over device tracking a little more in detail and possible workarounds.

http://tekdigest.blogspot.com/2013/11/windows-7-with-address-conflict-for-ip.html

HTH

luke

Hi luke,

The url you are posting are now locked and i am unable to access it ?

Says I need an invite to read the blog ? - really ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: