cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DVR, IP Cameras & CIsco switch

SYC
Level 1
Level 1

How do i go about connecting a DVR (handles DHCP for some IP cameras) and the said IP cameras on the same switch?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have not given us much information to work with. Can you tell us whether this switch is a layer 2 only switch or is this a layer 3 capable switch? Can you tell us whether the DVR will be in the same vlan as the cameras?

If the DVR is in the same vlan as the cameras then things are simple. You only need to configure the vlan, assign the appropriate switch ports to the vlan. If they are in the same vlan then the DHCP request from the camera will be received by the DVR and it will be able to offer an IP address to the camera. If the DVR is in a different vlan from the cameras then we need a layer 3 device to forward traffic between the vlans. If the switch is layer 3 capable then it can be handled on the switch. If the switch is layer 2 only then you need some layer 3 device to make this work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,

We need more information that we can help you.

1. Do you need configure a switch as DHCP Server for your DVR and CAMERA?
2. What model is your switch?
3. How many devices will plugged on your network?

Thanks in advance.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Is the switch going to be doing the DHCP yes or does the DVR have DHCP capability ?
The DVR should have static IP address with that IP address excluded from the the DHCP range
The cameras can be from the DHCP pool, and just need the switchports there connected to on the right vlan
This would be an example of DHCP setup in the switch , you would use your own network LAN range
The switch may also benefit from having some form of qos on it so the cameras streams are protected , if its ever under pressure

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.9.0
!
ip dhcp pool dpool1
import all
network 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.10.10.10
dns-server 192.168.35.2
domain-name cisco.com

Well I need to do this and I have layer 3 switch 3750 can you please tell me tha config how to do it 

I have two VLANs for this 40,41

Hello,

below is what the configuration could look like:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.40.1
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.41.1
!
ip dhcp pool VLAN40
network 192.168.40.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.40.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
ip dhcp pool VLAN41
network 192.168.41.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.41.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
interface FastEthernet1/0/1
description DVR_1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 40
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet1/0/2
description CAMERA_1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 41
spanning-tree portfast

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card