Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Routing Protocols using /30 networks for adjacencies

Something I just started to think about in terms of using encryption for adjacency hello traffic when /30s. Does not this not segregate this traffic onto its own network and make it unreachable from the network at large? And in that does it make the desire to encrypt this traffic less pressing?

I have encountered some networks where the adjacency is on a /24 which shares a broadcast domain which production traffic so encryption makes total sense in that scenario. I'm curious what you folks think. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Much would depend on you physical plant security.

Hopefully, it's such, that someone cannot physically get into your p2p link.

In the case, like your example /24, likely that network has many access ports.

So, for the p2p vs. an "open" network, the latter would have more of a need for infrastructure encryption.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Cluett
Level 1
Level 1

If you're targeting a secure environment it would be worthwhile to put encryption on your /30's.

That's not my question though. My question is what are the realistic threats of not having encryption on segregated point to point  /30 networks. (lan, not wan) How could someone realistically hijack an adjacency in this way. 

This is more of a thought experiment than anything else. 

deleted.

Much would depend on you physical plant security.

Hopefully, it's such, that someone cannot physically get into your p2p link.

In the case, like your example /24, likely that network has many access ports.

So, for the p2p vs. an "open" network, the latter would have more of a need for infrastructure encryption.

That's my thought as well. Thanks for entertaining the question!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card