cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic VLAN for switch port connected to hub or unmanaged switch

CSCO11543336
Level 1
Level 1

I want to enable dynamic vlan memmbership on a Cisco 4500 seris switch.  Ports on the 4500 switch will be connected to either a small hub or unmanaged switch on the other end. And multiple end point devices will be connected to ports on the small hub or unmanaged switche.  The MAC addresses of all end point devices are added and set to belong to different VLANs.

Does dynamic vlan support this setup?

4 Replies 4

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

I'm not sure how this setup will work at all. If you have unmanaged devices where the endpoints connect, how will a vlan be assigned to a port at all?

With VMPS enabled and all MAC addressess of end points added,  the switchport should be able to map and match end point MAC address to VLAN, dynamically.

I believe  my question can  also be put like "is dynamic vlan memebership supported on trunk switchports?  Or can a switchport be member of multiple, dynamically and concurrenlty assigned VLANs,  ?"

VMPS will dynamically assign a switchport to a vlan based on MAC address. If you have unmanaged switches connected to the 4500, then they won't be able to act as VMPS clients and the vlan membership won't be changed.

A non-trunked port is a member of only 1 access vlan. A port configured as a trunk won't query the VMPS server and can't be a dynamic port.

OK, that clarifies things here.  Thanks for helping out.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card