Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic VLAN in Cisco 3850

prashanma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Do Cisco 3850 series support Dynamic VLAN option ?

Thank you

10 Replies 10

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
The only way I know of assigning vlans is using 802.1x and then the vlan is assigned dynamically via a radius server, I dont think there is anything native built into the switch OS

Yes agreee we use ISE/802.1X for this through policies , 3k switches dont have that capability

Hi Agreed With all,

As per my knowledge, the Dynamic VLAN assignment can be done only through ISE/802.1x feature called DACL.

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Can we implement Dynamic Vlan in 3850 using radius server ?

Thank you for all reply.

@Mark Malone, actually my client want to implement Core Switch with Dynamic VLAN  via Radius Server with 802.1x client authentication.

Can we do this in Cisco 3850 series switch ? If it is what are the other component we need to have in environment.

If we cannot do this in Cisco 3850, what will be suitable Cisco switch for this requirement ?

So radius server should be Cisco ISE or can be any radius server

@prashanma

Currently, Cisco using ISE Radius server as you aware ACS Radius already the end of Sale and End of support from Cisco since 2016 around.

Hope you get the Answer!

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Yes you need cisco ISE thats where you have the policies created of how the dynamic vlans are assigned and what gets the vlans and what groupings etc and the 3850 would support the command syntax required
This is the global image we run on the 3ks that supports ISE , anything above it should work too

cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin

Thank you Mark for all the clarification

Thank you MUHAMMAD
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card