Helpful
Replies

EEM question (ip sla based)

joneswill
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of assistance regarding a potential EEM solution

I am using IP SLA to track the state of 3 remote destination IP addresses.  In the event of all 3 being unresponsive for a period of time, my default route is pulled and replaced.  When any of the 3 remote destinations come back online, after a period of time my default route is repopulated with the original.

This works well.  Apart from one small issue.

My proxy device is in my dmz.  It is not directly connected to the internet.  Thus, even if the 3 remote destination IP addresses become unresponsive, my local proxy remains up.  This is bad as my users browsers are all configured with a proxy pac file that tries to connect to this local proxy first.  As you can see - it is always able to.  So, even though my underlying default route has been repointed, my users browsers are still trying to connect to the local proxy.

As a solution to this I plan to have an EEM script monitor the state of my IP SLA, and in the event of the 3 remote destinations becoming unresponsive, it will shutdown the switchport that the local proxy connects to.

All good so far.

What I'd like to know is,

If I get EEM to bring the interface back up in the event of any of the 3 remote destinations becoming responsive again - what I dont want is for EEM to continually trigger based on the logic that the remote destinations are backup, so bring up the interface.   What I want to make sure is that it only triggers once when the remote sites are backup - not continuously (as it keeps seeing the sites up).

Over to you guys

1 Reply 1

joneswill
Level 1
Level 1

Ive tested this now and all is working well.  I chose instead to get the eem script to monitor the syslog for up->down and down->up state (as event track is not in my codeset).

its turned out very well

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card