Helpful
Replies

EHWIC PORT ACCESS to Subinterface VLAN 2901

jbmaloney
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2901 router with Sub interfaces on G0/1

Interfaces are G0/1.211  G0/1.213 etc.

I have several layer 2 2960s with vlan 211 and 213 built in them and they can access the subinterface on the router via trunk ports just but assigning the ports to vlan 211 or 213 respectively.

on the EHWIC ports I can not get any connectivity to the vlan created by the subinterface .211 or .213.

I have configured EHWIC Port G0/1/5 for switchport access vlan 213.

How do I get the layer 2 EHWIC switch to act like every other switch and route to the subinterface on its own router?

It seems that some kind of virtual trunk is required to connect the switch vlan to the sub interface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Usually the last one or 2 ports on the switch module are the internal ports that connects to the router.

On the switch, do "sh ip int brief" and the last port usually is the port that connects to the router. Also, "sh cdp nei" on the switch should show you the same info.  You would need to trunk that port and put the proper vlan on it.

HTH

Reza,

I ran those commands but did not see any indication that any of the ports were connected to the router internally, I posted the configs in a response to mike above.

Thanks

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

Are you trying to establish a trunk between the 2901 router and your switch? If so, please post the config of the router and switch interfaces you are trying to connect to each other so we can see what your issue is.

Here are two configs, I have multiple switches with similar configs and they have devices from the vlans in question working between them via rtr fine. I want to be able to get port g0/1/5 from the EHWIC to understand it is part of VLAN 213 that is created by the sub interface on the router that all of the other switches that talk over a physical trunk can do.

Not sure how to create the virtual trunk. If that is the correct term.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe most EHWIC Ethernet port modules provide L2 ports, not L3 ports like the built-in ports.  (NB: You might find one or two route port modules whose ports can be configured like the built-in ports.)  For routed ports, you would use subinterfaces, for L2 ports you configure than like switch ports, i.e. as an access or trunk port, supported by SVI(s).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card