Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP doesn't consider default network as gateway of last resort

mh.gorjizadeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys

Well i have kind of problem with default route in EIGRP.

I setup int loopback  on core router with calassfull ip address  (192.168.1.1/24 ) and do every then in global config by using

ip default-network 192.168.1.0  

set it up as default network .

Finally other routers like branch router see that as default network and you can see in show ip route 

Gateway of last resort is not
set

Lines omitted for brevity
D* 192.168.1.0/24 [90/2297856] via 10.1.1.1, 00:05:10, Fastethernet 0/0

but weird thing is that the ((Gateway of last resort is not set)) !!!

what can cause such problem ?

I must admit i use GNS3 and Packet tracer , and it works in packet tracer properly but not in GNS3 .

Thank for your help 

5 Replies 5

Robert Hillcoat
Level 1
Level 1

You must redistribute the network in order for it to work. If your network is a connected interface you can use the command redistribute connected or redistribute static. 

Yeah i agree.

But i am using second method which is setting some loopback interface  classfull address then propagate it in EIGRP by using network command and then by using ip default-network command set in originating router set it as default network. 

You are propagating it with the network command, that is not the same as redistributing it.

Thank your for your help.

But i just changed the router type in GNS3 and it worked.

I don't know why but it worked properly.

The redistribution that you mentioned is the best way , but you know for for the sake of CCNP i must practice all the ways which are in curriculum.

Thank you again Robert 

It's the same in this case. You can use redistribute connected, or the network command, the result is the same in this case.  Anyway i'm having the same problem here, using GNS3. I receive the route correctly on my remote router, but it isn't able to set it as Gateway of Last Resort. So, i think it's a problem with GNS3 IOU release. 

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card