Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Redistribution

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I am implementing EIGRP which in itself is a simple to configure protocol. I just have a query about redistribution and best practice. 

I have attached a diagram please take a look. I have site 1 and site 2. Each site has a core switch, a firewall, and a default route out to its own external connection. Now L2 is shared between the sites so I have static routes at site 1, that are destined for external addresses which need to exit via site 2 so the next hop address is the core switch at site 2. Once the packet arrives at site 2 it then uses the default route out.

I have the same at site 2 where the external static routes need to exit via site 1 so next hop is the core at site 1.

Most of these external static routes are host routes so cannot be summarized. In this setup can't really see much point to EIGRP apart from trying to cut down on config, but even then its not going to cut it by much. But this is what has been asked for despite the advice.

So my solution is to remove the external statics at site 1, and reconfigure them at site 2 to point out to the gateway, then redistribute them into eigrp. The do the same with the site 2 static routes by removing them at site 2 and reconfiguring them at site 1 and redistributing them.

Is this the only was round this scenario or is there a better solution. I have asked this question before but just made it bit more clearer what I am trying to achieve. This may be the only way round it but just trying to put it out there and make sure it is the only way.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is pretty much the only way you can do it.

The other option is to run EIGRP on the firewalls and do the redistribution there but it's not going to make much difference either way to be honest.

You can use a route map to filter out the default route from being redistributed but you may want that for failover in case the link between one of the switches and it's firewall fails.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is pretty much the only way you can do it.

The other option is to run EIGRP on the firewalls and do the redistribution there but it's not going to make much difference either way to be honest.

You can use a route map to filter out the default route from being redistributed but you may want that for failover in case the link between one of the switches and it's firewall fails.

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks for that, I just though before I put together the code, il just make sure im on the right lines. I will be using a route-map with prefix lists for the redistribution.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card