Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp to failover between 2 ASA's

network770
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have a single core switch 3750 connected to 2 asa's each having its own dedicated Internet circuit, so the asa's are not in failover mode.

I have a dedicate demarc vlan to each asa and running eigrp on the 2 demarc interfaces + the asa with one path having  large delay.  I would like to default route to failover to the backup asa in case we loose the internet on the primary, forgot to mention that the asa's inject static to eigrp such that the core switch does not have a static default route, it is learned dynamically. 

I am sure the default route will failover if the primary asa fails, but the question is what happens if the Internet connection fails on the primary but inside is still up, how does the core switch know to failover since it doesn't have any visibility to the outside interface of the asa?

I want to do this using eigrp and not ip sla.

is that doable?

1 Reply 1

antonio.guirado
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

there is no way to do what you want. If you are using static routes in your ASA to go to your ISP. The only

way to do some routing changes with static routes is ip sla. I know you do not want ip sla but.. there is no other

feature that can help you.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card