Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling jumbo frame in a legacy environment

jhontoc24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

in a few days I will renovate 2 legacy 6500 in VSS mode with a pair of c9500.

They will be a collapse core in a very legacy envirotment and our customer asks me to enable jumbo frame in these cores. I'm afraid if I enable globally system mtu 9000, it could impact downlinks connections with legacy accesss switches, routers or firewall connect directly with this core.

is it a recomendation to go for it? or should i tell to my customer keep with the default MTU.

thanks,

Jhon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi BB,

The 9500 support enabling Jumbo frame globally only.

see link:

When configuring the system MTU values, follow these guidelines:

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Instead of Global Level, why not enable on inerface level, so it will not effect as per your concern.

make sure you have right  module support for jumbo frames, some modules do not support

here is support and not supported one.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/intrface.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

The 9500 support enabling Jumbo frame globally only.

see link:

When configuring the system MTU values, follow these guidelines:

@Reza Sharifi  - Thank you and i am ware of that. in related to Cat 9500..may be i miss read the comms here.

orginal poster requeted to enable on 6500 with 9500, So i was in impression, Cat 9500 going to be new model (so i belive this not production one, this is only my assumption)

So i have provided thinking that he could enable Cat 6500 per interface level.

T

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card