cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling VTP on a LAN... straight forward?

James.Longman
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Can someone just double check my thinking? I've been asked to enable VTP over an existing network (rather than remove which I'd expect...) with a number (20ish) VLANs that are to remain unchanged.

I'm thinking...

1. Visit each switch and note VLAN numbers and descriptions
  2. On the switch to be VTP server create all VLANs found on other switches that don't already exist on it
  3. Make that switch the VTP server
  4. Slowly make each other switch a VTP client

That should preserve all VLANs and ensure no downtime, right?

Cheers folks!

2 Replies 2

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James,

Yes, you are good to go. But make sure that trunks configured properly between switches. As VTP propagate it's information only over trunks.

This process might be easier if you configure all switches as VTP transparent. It's recommended to transparent mode. Because if somebody remove a VLAN by mistaken on VTP server it will remove that VLAN on all VTP client switches.

Anyway your configuration looks ok. There shouldn't be outage, because VLANs already exist on switches.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

After step 3, make one or more VLAN changes (on "sever")  to increment the VLAN database revision number.  (This to insure it's higher than a newly converted "client" in your existing step 4.

If you do step 4 next hop out, one at a time, from "server", you should see each switch pick up VLAN database with "servers" revision number.

I would also recommend you set a VTP (and same) VTP password on every switch.  (Also insure VTP domain name is set too.)

You might also consider, if supported, whether you want to enable VTP auto pruning.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card