Views
Helpful
Replies

EoS, EoL Routers & Software

edw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an old EoL, EoS Catalyst 6006 which is running a old 5.5 CatOS. I would like to understand the upgrade options for the software. I have asked Cisco Premier partners but seem to get mixed signals.

I know as the hardware is EoL, EoS Cisco don't want anything to do with it. This is fine, and I'm happy with that but where do i stand if I want to upgrade the OS ??

Thanks

Ed

12 Replies 12

Takashi Higashimura
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ed,

If you have a CCO-id, you may download the images for Catalyst6006.

Please access to following page and check whether you can download the image, or not.

http://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=268438099&flowid=2309

Hi,

Thanks for responding. So how does the licensing work thou ? Thats the question I'm wondering.

Thanks

Ed

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe licensing works such that if you have a current maintenance contract you can use any software for the device with the same features support.

If you don't have a current maintenance contract you obtain that or you would need to "buy" different (i.e. newer) software as you might for a 1st time purchase.

Of course, I realize for EoL system, you're likely unable to acquire either a new maintenance contract or "buy" software for it; leaving you "stuck" with the software that's on the platform now.

Intreasting, now one of my Cisco Premier Partners I spoke to told me that I could upgrade the software but I would not have any support or replacement etc if I bricked the system...

So I'm still confused...

The last version of CatOS that was ever release (CatOS 8) went end of sale in 2008 with a last day of support of 27 January 2013. Meaning that if you run any version of CatOS, you are on your own. Cisco does not care which version of thier now totally unsupported software you run.

If you have a CCO you can go on to the Cisco website and download a copy of the newest version of CatOS, but as these things go it is still quite old. You will get absolutely no support for this software from Cisco.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I know the versions are old and obsolute, unfortantly the C6006 units are used by a charity and at present in the current climate we can't replace them due to cost, however it is in the plan.

So in effect I can upgrade the CatOS to a newer version (think I can only go to 6.x anyway with the blades its got). Does this also include the Cat IOS on the MSFC blade too?

Thanks Again

Ed

No, the MSFC IOS image must be upgraded seperatly.

What is the limiting factor on the upgrade? Even Sup1As support up to 8.5.

I believe the blade combination won't allow it.

WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE        SW 5.5(8)

WS-X6408-GBIC               SW 5.5(8)

WS-X6248-RJ-45               SW 5.5(8)

WS-F6K-MSFC                 SW 12.1(4)E1

The software I thought it could go to is 6.4(21), not sure on the MSFC.

Is the MSFC software therefore under the same conditions as above ?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What you can do physically and what you can do legally are two different things.  Since you asked about licensing, I assumed you were interested in what you might do legally.

Greg writes "Cisco does not care which version of thier now totally unsupported software you run.", well if you get that in writing from Cisco, then you're good.  If not, I believe you're legally exposed although likely, as Greg notes, Cisco doesn't care but personally I wouldn't count on that.  I also wouldn't want to be the one whose "fingerprints" are found on the upgrade.  Of course, I'm just paranoid (or been in court), as my disclaimer reveals (laugh).

There is a loophole, though.  For some security bugs, Cisco will allow you to upgrade to a specific (often newer) code version that fixes the bug.  These are "free".

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yes I am specifically asking for the legal side of the question.

I have asked two different Cisco Premiere Partners and have got both the same responses as above. IE

“No other software can be added. Supervisor Card IS End Of Life so they will need to have All new I’m afraid”. Effectively they have no way of upgrading the software the Supervisor on the switches won’t take new versions as it is EOL. So you will a new system in order to upgrade.

When asked to clarify as this didn't make much sense. They respond with "The supervisor cannot physically take the software now, so there is no way of actually upgrading it."

Yet we know the card will physically take it, just cause it EOL doesn't make the units automatically block any updates.

Unfortantly, they didnt clarify and I didn't chase it up.

Another Cisco Premium Partner told me that I could upgrade the software but I would not have any support or replacement etc if I bricked the system.

So as you can see I'm very confused. If I bought any other piece of 'black box' hardware for instance, I would be able to update to the last support firmware for instance.

Ed

To be clear my "Cisco does not care" comment was specifically directed at his vendor saying that he "could upgrade the software but I would not have any support or replacement etc if I bricked the system" and to enlighten him to the fact that no matter what version of Cat OS he runs, none of it is supported in any way.

I don't know if Cisco is spending a lot of time policing the software licensing on products that went end of sale nine years ago, but you potentially run the risk of exposure to litigation if you do not have support on a product and you download "new" code for it.

Thanks - Okay so I just I need to get written confirmation through the vendors from Cisco themselves ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card