Views
Helpful
Replies

Erase sensitive info from Cisco 2950 before disposing

Ruwan Indika
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Whats the best way to erase sensitive info from Cisco 2950 switches before disposing.

1) Is it enough to delete config.text and vlan.dat from rommon (switch:) mode ? 

2) Is it better to format flash: from rommon (switch:) mode ? 

3) What about the NVRAM. According to my testing once format flash: is done the startup-config file in NVRAM is empty.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Hi,

write erase

reload

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Format the flash.
Erasing the config isn't fool-proof because there are times people save a copy of the config into a different filename. There's also VLAN.dat that needed to be erased.
It's just simpler to format the flash.

My concern about formatting flash is with deleting the image file for the switch. The original post speaks of "disposing" the switch but I am not sure what that really means. If they intend to scrap the switch then having no image file is fine and formatting flash is the most effective way to remove any sensitive information. But if they have any intention of selling the switch or of passing it on to someone else then having no image file is a problem. Perhaps the original poster can clarify what they intend to do with this switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard and All,

Thanks for the replies. These switches are going to be scrapped. 

There are many switches so I have written a Python script to format flash via console. 

Thanks for clarifying that these switches will be scrapped. In this case I agree that format flash is the most complete way to remove any sensitive information.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco