cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Erased Flash - Need to Load Image

4bsmith
Level 1
Level 1

I accidentally erased the Flash directory on my C3560 switch and need to load a new image on it from which to boot normally.  Sure could use some helpful advice.

Found the following on TechRepublic. Thanks to ernirofori:

First of all you need to get the ios image in .bin format on the PC connected to the switch by hyperterminal console.

At the switch: prompt make sure there is enough space in flash memory by doing dir flash:

then issue the following command to put the switch to listen for xmodem transfers:

copy xmodem: flash:flash_filename

now  from the "transfer" dropdown menu on the hyperterminal, select "send  file" and choose "xmodem" in the subsequent dialog box and browse for  the flash_filename (the downloaded IOS bn file) and send.

The process takes a while but it works...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

How does one change the baud rate back to 9600 from the Switch# prompt?

You've got two ways to set the baud rate back.

From ROMmon, use the command "unset BAUD".  The second one is to use the Reza's latest post.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you reboot the switch after erasing the image?.  If you have not, simply load an image from a TFTP server.

If you have, then there in no image and you have to use Xmodem to load a new image.

Have a look at this link for instruction

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

HTH

Oh, I went all the way and rebooted. I’m using XMODEM right now. Thank you for the correct answer, sir.

Bill Smith

Senior Network Engineer

North Country HealthCare

928-522-2444 Phone (2552)

928-522-2484 Fax

928-699-8554 Cell

wsmith@northcountryhealthcare.org

Unless you start with the command "set BAUD=115200" the entire process will take approximately 4 hours.

By setting your XMODEM baud rate higher, the time to upload the BIN file will be approximately 45 minutes.

Got it to 115200, but didn't change it back before the switch booted to the image.  How does one change the baud rate back to 9600 from the Switch# prompt?

Bill,

Here are the commands to change it to 9600

C3750-E#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

C3750-E(config)#line con 0

C3750-E(config-line)#speed 9600

C3750-E(config-line)#

verify that it is 9600 by issuing this command:

sh line con 0

HTH

Please rate if helpful

How does one change the baud rate back to 9600 from the Switch# prompt?

You've got two ways to set the baud rate back.

From ROMmon, use the command "unset BAUD".  The second one is to use the Reza's latest post.

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card