Views
Helpful
Replies

Error disable recovery cause

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is error disable recovery global commands are best practices or it should not enable. below are some commands. If anyone can reply based on Cisco best practices perspective.

errdisable recovery cause udld
errdisable recovery cause bpduguard
errdisable recovery cause security-violation
errdisable recovery cause channel-misconfig
errdisable recovery cause pagp-flap
errdisable recovery cause dtp-flap
errdisable recovery cause link-flap
errdisable recovery cause sfp-config-mismatch
errdisable recovery cause l2ptguard
errdisable recovery cause psecure-violation
errdisable recovery cause port-mode-failure
errdisable recovery cause dhcp-rate-limit
errdisable recovery cause pppoe-ia-rate-limit
errdisable recovery cause mac-limit
errdisable recovery cause storm-control
errdisable recovery cause inline-power
errdisable recovery cause loopback

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some auto-recover are OK but some, depending WHERE, it is applied can be "counter productive". 

Let me give you an example:  We have "errdisable recovery cause udld" turned on to our distro switches.  Our network have all OSPF, EIGRP and BGP running.  One evening, one of our distro switch link went into error-disabled because of UDLD.  Due to the auto-recovery enabled, the link went up after 60 seconds and this continued on for a few more times until the distro crashed because the routing protocols flooding in was non-stop.  

So before anyone think it is a good idea, wait until something bad happens. 

As far as I am concerned, links going into error-disable is a network admin's best friend.  Enabling auto-recovery, in my opinion, should only be in lab environment.  

View solution in original post

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am more concerned above one, I would advise the admin to investigate if this goes down due to the reason, sometimes this may bring down the network due to recovery, depends how your Layer 2 network.

As i said good to have those features enabled where you have total control on the network and have some visibility, also worth send SYSLOG also for reference, how many times this link went down and recovered, so you will know the effect if they going down and recovering due to misconfiguration or malfunction of cables.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some auto-recover are OK but some, depending WHERE, it is applied can be "counter productive". 

Let me give you an example:  We have "errdisable recovery cause udld" turned on to our distro switches.  Our network have all OSPF, EIGRP and BGP running.  One evening, one of our distro switch link went into error-disabled because of UDLD.  Due to the auto-recovery enabled, the link went up after 60 seconds and this continued on for a few more times until the distro crashed because the routing protocols flooding in was non-stop.  

So before anyone think it is a good idea, wait until something bad happens. 

As far as I am concerned, links going into error-disable is a network admin's best friend.  Enabling auto-recovery, in my opinion, should only be in lab environment.  

Very logical and good point.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am more concerned above one, I would advise the admin to investigate if this goes down due to the reason, sometimes this may bring down the network due to recovery, depends how your Layer 2 network.

As i said good to have those features enabled where you have total control on the network and have some visibility, also worth send SYSLOG also for reference, how many times this link went down and recovered, so you will know the effect if they going down and recovering due to misconfiguration or malfunction of cables.

BB

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Many thanks Leo and Balaji.

Hope the information helps you, if nothing more required we mark as resolved here ?

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: