Views
Helpful
Replies

Error message on CAT4507

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've taken 2 4507's fresh out of the box running CAT4500E-ENTSERVICESK9-MZ.122-53.SG2.BIN which was upgraded from CAT4500E-IPBASEK9-MZ.122-53.SG2.BIN

I'm getting constant %C4K_S2W-4-WRITECALENDARERR:  Calendar write operation Failed errors on the console.  I was also getting them on the original IOS version.

Anything I've seen say's to ignore them but their very frequent filling up the logs.

There's very little return on google and no bugs to report on Cisco?

Anyone any ideas what I can do with this?

Thanks,

Neil

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"sh run | i calendar" and remove the line, I guess.

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

It just failed to write to the calendar. Probably more more of an eyesore than anything, as Cisco doesn't see this to be a very harmful situation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/system/message/emsg.html#wp1677195

Hope that helps

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

thanks guys.

However there is nothing configured that relates to the calendar.

I know the error is harmless but it's occurring every couple of minutes,  I don't want it filling the logs.

The following commands will supress the message:

logging discriminator calendar mnemonics drop WRITECALENDARERR

logging     buffered discriminator calendar 4096

logging monitor discriminator calendar

logging console discriminator calendar

logging host discriminator calendar

Please rate the answer provided and let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Eehab

Thanks Eehab, that's a nice workaround.

I'm going to try another IOS upgrade and if that doesn't work I'll defintely implement your suggestion.

thanks again,

Neil

Nice one Eehab!  +5 from me. 

Will this stop the switch generating the error message or just stop syslog from getting the error message?

andrewm44
Level 1
Level 1

Of 5x 4500s that I am trying to take into production, I have 3 showing this error.

*Dec  9 20:41:53.214: %C4K_S2W-4-WRITECALENDARERR:  Calendar write operation Failed: NACK Dev Addr

*Dec  9 20:41:53.214: %C4K_S2W-4-WRITECALENDARERR:  Calendar write operation Failed: NACK Write Data

What else doesn't work? Why are two ok (plus all the other ones I have in production) and these three not?

Andrew

After much testing I have found a pattern:

In my test lab, I was only using one power cable out of four to power up the 4510.

It seems that if you have two 6000W power supplies installed and only power up the first one, the switch will report calendar write error messages. If however I use one of the 2 power connectors on the second (right hand side) power supply I don't get any errors.

I have seen this with issue with:

cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.02.00.SG.150-2.SG.bin

cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.03.02.SG.151-1.SG2.bin

cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.00.SG.151-2.SG.bin

I have even upgraded to the latest rommon:

cat4500-e-ios-promupgrade-150-1r-SG7

I can live with this error message in my test lab - or simply just use the second power supply to power the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card