Views
Helpful
Replies

Error opening tftp (Timed out)

Yadhu Tony
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I installed a new router and trying to backup the initial configuration to our tftp server. But getting the error " %Error opening tftp://172.17.0.39/corporate-confg (Timed out)"

I can ping the tftp server from router. There is no firewall in between router and tftp server. Other network devices in the same subnet can upload / download from tftp server. Only this router can't use the tftp. I tried to install a seperate tftp server and tried but no hope with the freshly installed router. Router running config is attached. Please help me.

Regards,
Tony

Regards,
Tony

http://yadhutony.blogspot.com
112 Replies 112

Thanks djrees@live.com. Yes, it works great for me as well by follow your steps here. 

rameshprabhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we had the same problem also after installing a new router, my colleague fixed by adding the following config line:

ip tftp source-interface interface_from_where_you_manage_router  (in our case it is a Loopback).

THIS WORKS FOR ME

Thank you for this. Specifying the correct source interface worked for me:

RT01(config)#ip tftp source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0.1
RT01(config)#end
RT01#copy startup-config tftp
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.2 
Destination filename [rt01confg]?
!!
19118 bytes copied in 1.040 secs (18383 bytes/sec)

RT01#

ismail.ichu
Level 1
Level 1

I had similar issue .I have done two things one is disabling firewall service another i noticed that  the tftp server(mine solarwind) using binding x.x.x.x/32 as the mask.

So i put x.x.x.253/32 as the tftp server ip and router interface ip as x.x.x.254

It worked and  i was able to copy files .

Reply if it fix your case too..

Regards,

Ismail

angelaquincy
Level 1
Level 1

I found that my file was larger than the TFTP server could handle. It could only handle 32MG and my file was 200MG. I had to get another TFTP server.

HI,

Please help me , i am facing issue cisco switch ws-c3850-24xs ,  need for ios backup plz help .

ReyMirabal
Level 1
Level 1

I tried all those suggestions w/o any luck... I found out (the hard way lol) that from an isr, I had to increase the block size: ip tftp blocksize ,  default is ~512, make it 8k, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5760-wireless-lan-controller/117636-technote-tftpfile-00.html

1. Go to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on the TFTP/FTP Server

2. Add New Inbound Rule.

3. Specify IP/UDP/TCP Protocol and the specific port to allow (e.g If you are using SolarWinds TFTP Server Software, It works on UDP Port 69).

It worked for me. Hope it works for others if there is no other Firewall/ACL Rule implemented.

I was having this issue with a new switch and this fixed it for me

conf t
no service config

Sometimes when switch first boots it may try to load a config from a tftp server and never stops thus the socket timeout

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/49683-serviceconfig-error-msgs.html

gurulinux
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dear if you want to solve this solution you have to watch the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LelUpnUWUE&feature=youtu.be

Harrie Hendriks
Level 1
Level 1

We have the problem too with a Catalyst 9300 access switch and a Catalyst 9500 distribution, with vrf.

We testing with a catalyst 3850 and even these switch gives the error.

The solution we found, and works:

ip tftp blocksize 512

In an other situation we used 8192.

It works but we don't no why. Someone an explanation?

Best Regards, Harrie

Thank you very much, he original command

ip tftp source-interface gig0/0/0 worked for me

Thanks again

Bug code: CSCvq01204

Work around: If TFTP blocksize value is 1468 or lower, transmission works.

We have several 3650 switch stacks which we're upgrading from 16.6.6 because of a memory issue. I was able to transfer the new software to 7 out of 8 without issue. On the eighth switch, the connection was giving me a "Timed Out" error. Sending a 1KB text file worked, but that was about it until I reduced the blocksize.  I used a 512 block size, which took at least 30 mins, but it did work. Had I scrolled down a bit first, I would have used 1468 instead.

After trying for two hours, THIS is what worked for me. I tried setting the blocksize to 8196, but that didn't work so I set it to 1468 and the file transferred immediately! I had already set the ip tftp source-interface to the port I had my laptop connected to, so perhaps it was a combination of the two things. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card