cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

esw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : VLAN message

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Aug 24 11:32:16.275 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan21, changed state to down

Aug 24 11:32:36.827 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan21, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:35:23.854 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to down

Aug 24 11:35:24.854 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to downesw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

esw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

Aug 24 11:35:27.542 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to upesw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

Aug 24 11:35:29.970 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:35:30.970 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:35:48.166 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to down

Aug 24 11:35:49.170 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to downesw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

Aug 24 11:35:51.406 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:35:52.406 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/2, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:37:17.870 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to down

Aug 24 11:37:18.870 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to downesw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

Aug 24 11:37:21.546 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to upesw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

Aug 24 11:37:23.954 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:37:24.954 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:37:39.854 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to down

Aug 24 11:37:40.858 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to downesw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove : Unable to find entry for VLAN(1) dbnum(1)

Aug 24 11:37:42.990 AEST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to up

Aug 24 11:37:43.990 AEST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1/1, changed state to up

When the above problem happens, as work-around, we delete VLAN.DAT file on the Compact Flash of this 2811 router and recopy the VLAN>DAT file back to teh Compact Flash.

Then it runs for a few weeks and the same problem happened.

Then we put a new Compact Flash and recopied VLAN.DAT to new CF and it ran for 3 weeks and same problem started again.

Could be 2811 router motherboard? This customer has thousands of these 2811 routers in identical setups and this is the only router that is having this problem.

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The motherboard issue cannot be ruled out but personally, I don't quite think this is a motherboard issue. The VLAN management is primarily a software issue and it is all concerned with storing the vlan.dat file properly on the CF card and using it to set up the ESW module.

Does the 2811 run the VTP protocol in any mode? If the VTP is not used then I suggest setting the device to VTP Transparent mode.

You have said that you remedy the problem by deleting the vlan.dat from the CF and copy it back (from where?). However, there is a slight possibility that the vlan.dat file you are putting back is internally corrupted. Have you ever tried not to copy that file back but simply delete it, restart the router (an important step!) and then recreating all the necessary VLANs from scratch?

Also, when this problem appears, have you tried to see if there is a free space available on the CF? A full CF may also cause these troubles.

As a last measure - I doubt it will help but who knows - have you tried replacing the ESW module?

Best regards,

Peter

Ruterford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Astanislaus,

did you manage to fix it somehow?

I have the same issue on of my ISRs.

Thanks

Ruterford,

If I remember right the problem was due to the fact that the "vlan.dat" file on the flash was getting corrupted. The problem was finally traced to a non-Cisco supplied Compact Flash. The 3rd party Compact Flash was the reason for the problem as far as I can recall.

Cheers

Alphonse

Somehow I can't see this fault being a flash issue as the router is not being re-loaded and the vlan is already established, the router just removes it after a period of time. This to me appears to be a resource issue although I cannot see any resource that is being used to cause this, we monitor out 1941's with Solarwinds and there are no increases in memory or CPU prior to the vlan being removed.

We are currently running Cisco 1941 ISR's with 4 port ESW cards IOS version 15.1(4) M3 and a straight forward reload temporally fixes the issue, hence not a flash or vlan.dat issue.

That's it, perfect. Thank you very much :-)

I am not sure why it does not show up in the open caveats for the IOS or when you search the Cisco Website for esw_mrvl_vlan_port_remove ?

IOS Upgrade it is then!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco