Views
Helpful
Replies

%ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on

CaptainPistache
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco community,

I had an issue with an access switch (C2960X) that has been disconnected from the whole network because its uplink went into an "err-disabled" state. The access switch has only one L2 copper uplink to one of our core switch through an access port in a specific vlan (no trunk mode).

The issue has been solved by shut/no shut the port and has not happened again since then.

Here are the logs :

Oct 1 14:44:42 UTC: %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on GigabitEthernet4/0/48.
Oct 1 14:44:42 UTC: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi4/0/48, putting Gi4/0/48 in err-disable state
Oct 1 14:44:43 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet4/0/48, changed state to down
Oct 1 14:44:44 UTC: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet4/0/48, changed state to down

Based on my researches, it seems that the issue may come from a keepalive packet that went back through this interface due to a loop. I'm concerned because even if the "no keepalive" avoid a future "err-disabled" state, it won't correct anything regarding an eventual loop.

However, I have no clue at all that there is a loop somewhere in the network. The STP has been confirmed to be correctly configured and working on every switch. Also, after shut/no shut the port, everything went back normally.

• What could cause a keepalive packet to comes back only once though its initial interface ?
  • How could I be sure that there's no loop in our network ? The network global performances are actually pretty good and I have no visible sign that it exists an issue of this kind.

It may be important to note that :

- We're using HSRP between our core switches.

- I have seen that portfast was enabled on every side of the switch uplink to our core switch and know that this is not recommended. But I still don't get how a potential loop could have been formed. In the meantime, I have removed this setting.

I'm counting on your experience to help me. ;)

Thanks a lot !

2 Replies 2

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I am not sure about the software version but it was reported a bug (CSCea46385) in cisco switches (not sure about 2960 series). You may be having any of one problem as:

1. A large number of TCN.

2. Type-2 Cable etc. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your fast reply. Cannot access the link to the bug details, could you please explain me how can I investigate a large number of TCN and what do you mean by a type-2 cable ?

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card