Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel Misconfig guard

xZamalek
Level 1
Level 1

STP misconfig.jpg

Dears,

Lets suppose that S1 is hard coded to be an etherchannel and S2 doesn't have etherchannel config , how the loop will occur?

in case that:-

1-A device connected to S1 send a broadcast or unknown unicast , will the etherchannel follow the default load balancing algorithm and choose only 1 link inside the Port-channel to forward the frame? or in this case will use both?

2-once the broadcast frame goes to root , it will flood the frame out of all ports expect the port it received the frame , S2 will send back the frame from the other port to S1 , however S1 will detect it received the frame on "Po1" as a whole not fa0/1 or fa0/2 so its impossible to transfer the broadcast back to s2 , so how the loop will occur in case of etherchannel misconfig?

5 Replies 5

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks a lot , i will check this discussion

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
well, in shot awnser. all ports will be blocked, because from one side has LAG enabled and from another side havent it.

1-A device connected to S1 send a broadcast or unknown unicast , will the etherchannel follow the default load balancing algorithm and choose only 1 link inside the Port-channel to forward the frame? or in this case will use both?

R: in your exemple, switch s1 will disable po1 because negociation between switches failed, both ports will be disabled.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

will it block the Port channel even if the etherchannel was hardcoded? as far as i know hardcoded port channels doesn't generate negotiation messages , maybe i am wrong.

Well.. what you want to say about hardcoded?
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card