cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

etherchannel vmware esx catOS

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

how do I configure an etherchannel on a 6509 switch running catOS for VMware ESX?

I have 3 (1GB) ports for Virtual machines and I believe ESX will do the outbound load balancing but not incoming.

thanks

6 Replies 6

i have 3 ports but 2 ports goes to one switch and 1 port goes to another switch. both switches are active. Can i still create a etherchannel this way across switches?

All ports should go to the same switch for the etherchannel to come up unless they are stacked together.

Check this out http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094646.shtml

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you cannot create a etherchannel across different switches ,  have to be on one switch.

but if one switch gets rebooted all our vms lose connectivity. thats why we have them on 2 separate switches. what do you suggest? 2 ports etherchannel on switch B and leave single port on switch A

As long as you ensure that connecting NICs from the same server across different switches does not cause a spanning tree loop, two port etherchannel on Switch A and a standalone port on Switch B should be fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco