cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet Port with ATT SB35010 Device

Senbonzakura
Level 1
Level 1

Alright, I'm hoping for some insight on something I ran into that could explain what I saw.

So, there is a ATT SB35010 device that has 3 phone lines hooked into it, then from that device comes an Ethernet Line that hooks into a switch in which the device get's an IP address assigned to it for the VOIP phones.

Usually, when two ends of a Ethernet Cable is hooked up and active on both ends you see the lights turn on the port showing speed/activity. Well when you have an Ethernet cable coming from the SB35010 to the Switch, there isn't any light at ALL but heres the fun part. If I take the end of the Ethernet that's hooked into the SB35010 (while other end is still in switch) and hook it into my laptop and wait to get internet connection, the light on the switches port turns on then I switch it back into the SB35010 and as soon as I do that, the light on the SB35010's ethernet port turns on and everything works wonders... if I unplug it and plug it back in.. the light doesn't turn on and it doesn't work.

What is causing this issue to happen and why must I plug it into a laptop first before the device for it to work properly? This has been confusing me, it works great but if the power goes out and the backup battery runs out then I'll have to go back to the location and do that hold unplug, plug then unplug and replug again. With an unmanaged switch, I don't have any problems but when I do anything with any managed switch I have to the same song and dance again.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

odd indeed. What switch model do you have ? Have you tried to reboot the switch and/or use a different cable ?

Thanks for replying Georg.

They're both Catalyst 2960 Series Switches, one is a 24P and another is 48P. I've tried multiple straight-thru and Cross-Over Cables, tried rebooting the switch, tried rebooting the ATT Device, tried rebooting them both even with the different cables in them and there wasn't any progress. Even tried different ports, nothing. I also tried to see if I kept the few ports on VLAN 1 so it's just plug and play like an unmanaged switch, same problem.

Very odd situation and made 0 sense to why this was happening. If I plug in a laptop or any computer, instant internet connection and IP address assignment.

Hello,

just for clarification: your setup looks like the one depicted in the system diagram ?

http://telecom.hellodirect.com/eBiz/pdf/phones/Syn248_System_Installation_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

Yes it does, exactly that.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card