cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Server is not accessible by other vlans.

donmarlooon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have this network that all workstations and servers are all in the same vlan(default vlan). From this point exchange is reachable and accessible because they are all in the same vlan.

But since this network wants to upgrade their network to have vlans separating users per floor, servers and printers, I will just have to migrate the workstations to designated vlans ensured that all these vlan still reachable to each other. I have done this successfully by ip routing on the core and trunk allowed on switch to switch connections. Also there is no existing ACL on core.

I'm a network engineer so I don't have any knowledge with servers. On my testing, I retain the servers on the default vlan and migrate one workstation to other vlan. I am not able to reach exchange server/OWA but other servers like lex is reachable and accessible.

I just want to ask if there's a changes that needs to be done on the side of exchange server, so that it can be seen by other vlan or there is something that I haven't done.

Feel free to ask if there's some information you need to know about the network thanks.

Would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There should not be any need to change anything on the exchange server.  The server has an IP address and it needs to be reachable by all other subnets and as well as the user subnet.

Is the router or the device that is routing between VLANs configured correctly?

What is the segment where the server is and what is the user segment?

Can you post the config for the device that is routing between vlans?

HTH

Yes, Sir. Other servers are accessible except with DMS and Exchange server. On my testing, workstations that are placed in other vlan can ping all other vlans' ip address which means routing between vlans is okay. The exchange server is placed on default vlan having an IP of 100.0.0.6. The network's ip range for vlan 1 is 100.0.0.0/8. I'm using vlan 4 as testing vlan for workstations and it can ping all other management IP(default vlan) of all switches and that is the same subnet with the exchange server's ip.

Hello

so just to confirm that a host in vlan 4 from any access switch can reach anything in vlan 1 apart from the exchange server located also in vlan 1?

Are you accessing this exchange server with a client application and url OWA? And would this be by ip address or fqdn.

what does a dns query show for the exchange server from a host in vlan 4

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, Sir. Vlan 4 can reach all in vlan 1 except this exchange server located in vlan 1.

This exchange server is not pingable and to be access by https://100.0.0.6/owa.

Can you make sure the exchange server has the correct gateway configured?

HTH

I hope so, I'll check it.

The gateway of the exchange server is the svi of the core switch which is I think is the right gateway.

Yes, Sir. The default gateway of the server is the core switch.

Hello

@donmarlooon wrote:
The exchange server is placed on default vlan having an IP of 100.0.0.6. The network's ip range for vlan 1 is 100.0.0.0/8.

Can you cross check the subnet mask of the the server to the subnet mask of the SVI its related to

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card