cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Existing 3850 stack member removed when new stack member added

graham robinson
Level 1
Level 1

We have a production stack of 3x 3850's but have run out of ports and need to add a 4th member; I followed the recommended procedure for adding a new member [Configure “software auto-upgrade enable” on the existing stack, rack the new switch but dont power it up, connect the stacking cables to the new member, then power up the new member].

For the first few minutes everything seemed normal [the existing stack members continued passing traffic whilst the new switch booted up], but then stack member 2 [the "standby" stack member] stopped passing traffic and showed as "removed" when the "show switch detail" command was issued. After a few minutes it then showed as "initializing" and I was hopeful it would rejoin the stack, however after approx 10mins it still showed as "initializing" and I felt I could not wait any longer, so I removed the stacking cables from the new switch and put them back to normal, and then rebooted switch 2. After a few minutes it rejoined the stack and started functioning normally again.

During the whole process the new switch 4 was never shown when the "show switch detail" command was issued.

Any idea what might have caused this to occur and how I can avoid this again?

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

What mode is your stack running in? The auto-upgrade feature doesn't work in BUNDLE mode.

Personally I would always take the extra step of putting the correct software version and installing it in the same mode as the stack I was attempting to join it to.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb

The stack and the new member are both running in install mode, however the stack is running version 3.06.04.E and the new member is running version 16.3.6

I wager that the 3.x.x and 16.x are not able to communicate correctly to facilitate an auto-upgrade.

Looking through the 16.x.x release notes, the 'auto-upgrade' command is not available so methods called by that command are probably not present.

Put your new switch on a 3.6.x release and the auto-upgrade will work. Or just put the stack version on the new switch and save yourself ore heartache.

Cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb

Varun Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Graham, 

I am assuming that the new member in the stack was configured/re-numbered as switch 4 before plugging it to the existing stack.

No it had a default config straight out of the box - my understanding from the documentation is that when a new switch joins a stack it will have a default member number of 1, but during the process of joining the stack it will be assigned the lowest member number that is currently available [e.g. if a stack already has member numbers 1,2 and 3 in use the new switch will be assigned member number 4]. I have done this with other stacks and it worked fine, but I think they were running the same major software version [e.g. the stack and the new switch were both running 3.x.x]   

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card