Views
Helpful
Replies

Expanding ports with two 2960S switches

mquevedob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 2960S cisco switch with 48 ports and another of the same type but with 24 ports.

What I need to do is have one 72 port switch out of the two switches I have.

I already have my 48 port switched configured with VLANs.

I would be great that when adding the 24 port switch the VLAN config from the 48 port switch is automatically copied to the 24 port switch.

UPDATE: The 48 port switch has a trunk port connected to a router as in "router on a stick" way. when adding the 2nd switch this port should still be used as trunk to the switch

UPDATE 2: the switches do not have the expansion board for stacking switches

thanks!

Martin

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unless your feature set on your 2960Ss preclude it, define a trunk between them, they should be able to support the same L2 domain(s) across their ports.  If they also support VTP, they can share VLAN information too.  NB: As they are not stacked, you'll still need to manage them as two different devices.

I already have a trunk port configured to connect to the router. Will this be a limitation?

are there any restrictions as to which port or vlan I should choose to interconnect the 2 switches?

ok I picked the port 48 from the 48 port switch and the port 1 from the 24 port switch and configured as trunk

48-port switch

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/48
 description trunk-to-switch
 switchport access vlan 7
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate

24-port switch

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 description trunk-to-switch
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate

on my 48-port switch I have my 7 Vlans and on the 24-port switch there is only vlan 1

is it possible to make the ports on 24-port switch part of the vlans on 48-port switch ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card