cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend Nexus9k switches to Nexus3k

Paul Bedorf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, we have a pair of Nexus9k switches set up in a single domain. Im running out of ports and still have lots of other hardware that i need to set up but not enough ports. I have another pair of Cisco Nexus3k switches..... I want to add them to the existing Nexus9k switches, preferably in Layer2 and let the Nexus9k do the routing etc.... whats the best way of doing this... should i create a separate domain for the nexus3k switches and trunk them to the nexus9k switch? or should i keep both nexus3k switches separate ( stand alone, no domain ) and hook them up to nexus9k?

Any help if appreciated. Thank you

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I would just create a separate domain and put the 3Ks in another VPC and then connect the 2 sets together.

HTH

Hi Reza, Thanks for your reply. Which option would you suggest as per the picture below?

Cisco_Nexus_Options.png

Thanks Reza for the link
I also had this confirmed with a long colleague of mine, so the final set up will look like this:

So on each switch I will have to create a PortChannel10, make ports member of this Po10 and also make Po10 a member of VPC10 on each switch.
Thank you for all your help and hopefully this setup will benefit anyone else in the future. Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 2.25.24 PM.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card