cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending a number of VLANs over a L3 connection

jonathanpe
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to migrate a number of server from Site A connected to the 6500 to site B connected to the Nexus 9K while keeping the same ip addressing post migration.  Not all of the servers will be migrated in one go and all the links are L3 /30 connections.    

I have removed a number of devices for clarity, so the ASR and Nexus are resilient, and also the 6500 is running VSS.  

So I will have to extend the broadcast domain or stretch the L2 vlans from Site A to Site B, while maintaining resiliency should the link between site A & B fail.  So therefore any tunnel must re-establish the other way round the ring.

2 Options I have looked at are OTV, but as the 6500 has a Sup 720 I am under the impression it does not support OTV.  The other option is a L2TP connection, but as far as I can see that would connect 2 physical interfaces on separate routers as an effective broadcast domain.

Any other pointers would be great thanks

2 Replies 2

Hello,

have a look at Local Area Mobility (LAM).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9390/products_white_paper09186a00800a3ca5.shtml

Extending a broadcast domain across the WAN is usually not a good idea...

Thanks, somewhat frustratingly I can see the text on the link but I cannot see the Diagrams.

And I don't seem to have permissions to download the doc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card