cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending Vlan to a different subnet

BryonWischstadt
Level 1
Level 1

I need to extend a vlan from one subnet on a Catalyst 3560V2 to another subnet in a different location on a Catalyst 3560 and 2960.  The offices are connected via dedicated 10mb metro etherthernet connection.    What is the best way to do this.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

ssaunders42
Level 1
Level 1

sounds like you want to trunk the multiple vlans across the network.  Are the uplink ports already configured for trunking?  If so you should just have to add the new vlans to the trunk command making sure to retype in all needed vlans, not just the new one.  If they are not setup for trunking, then just change them.

for example: your current setup is vlan 20 and 22.  You want to add 25 & 27

switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,22
switchport mode trunk

you just have to retype the switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,22,25,27

you will have to do this on both ends of the link.

hope this helps

Shawn,

Thanks for the info.  The uplink ports are configured for turnking adn what you suggested make complete sense.  But as I was reading your post, it ocurred to me, both location have the same vlan number I want to extend.

Location A (which has the system locaiton b needs to to get too)

Vlan20

Name data_10.x.x.0/24

Location B

Vlan 20

Name data_10.y.y.0/24

Is it possible to put the vlan name instead of the vlan number?

Thanks

Hi,

if the VLANs already exists on the 2 switches then you've got nothing special to do as by default all vlans

are allowed on trunk links but if you manually pruned some vlans with the switchport allowed vlan command then maybe

you'll have to add this one but no need to add all the already allowed vlans, just type switchport allowed vlan add 20.

To verify just issue sh interface trunk

As far as I know you can't use the name as it is only used for human convenience and not transported in the dot1q/ISL frame.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

to make it clear, you want to connect 3 offices with a vlan called data, id 20 and for every office one subnet.

That make sense but vlans are on Layer 2, so you haven't got the chance to distribute the vlans via the layer 3 routing.

Therefore you should create a vlan interface for every VLAN in every office and set up static or dynamic routing.

Or do you use MPLS to connect the offices?

Regards Martin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card