Views
Helpful
Replies

FabricPath - Spine extension ???

g8104
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a datacenter with FabricPath implementation (Border Leaf, Spine-layer and Access-layer).

Each access-layer-switch is connected to each of our four Spine-switches (fully meshed).

Now, as the datacenter is reaching it maximum capacity, we have to expand to a second datacenter which should be connected via darkfibre connections.

As this should not be treated like an own separate datacenter, I was first on the page to setup some access-devices connect them directly to the spines in the other datacenter to get the fully - meshed architecture in place.

As this would end up in quite a lot darkfibre connections, the idea came up to "just" setup two additional spine switches in the new datacenter and only connect these two spines to the four existing spines in our first datacenter.

I am a little bit confused, because from my point of view, this will not work as all spines are only connected via the access-devices. And, furthermore, with this setup, we would loose the fully-meshed architecture.

What could be a reasonable way to go to connect that datacenter-expansion to our existing one and connecting it to our FabricPath without having quite a lot crosslinks between the two datacenters?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sebastian

1 Reply 1

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

Using Fabricpath as a Data Center Interconnect is not recommended.

The recommended option is OTV but you may do a vPC with the border leaf switches but you have limitation of only 2 data centers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card