Views
Helpful
Replies

FabricPath Topology without Spines

alf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I´ve recognized the Spine+Leaf Design for FP as best-practices for large and scalable DC L2 fabrics.

However, for small DC environments it´s technically possible, that Leafs can be directly connected in almost every meshed topology using FP links to provide a DC L2 switching fabric without STP. So why using additional Spine switches which consume additional interswitch ports and don´t provide benefits with additional access ports ? If a scalability issue appears in future, Spines can be added later.

The "Leaf-only" FP Design is not widely documented (design guides, white papers etc.) so I ask myself, if there are other technical reasons to include those Spines in all of the FP designs ?

Any comment is highly appreciated.

regards,

Alfred

3 Replies 3

Hello

My understanding is you cannot connect ACI leafs directly they need the fabric path of the spine switches to interconnect.

As far as I am aware I don’t think there is a Leaf only design as the ACI infrastructure doesnt supports it.

FYI - all my understanding is entirely based on theory - All due a a recent ACI course I attended so I could be wrong.

Lastly once this technology takes hold it will change networking forever! –it is defiantly the future

Res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,
thx for your comment.

I am not talking about ACI. Even if in ACI also Spine/Leaf topologies are recommended as well, ACI and FabricPath are different technologies (and different hardware devices) and not co-existent.

Hello

Arh well there you go jumping to conculsions again - Thats becasue I have ACI on the brain!

apologies

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card