Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failed icmp-jitter test

Hello experts,

I am trying to measure delay-jitter values of my cisco switch and i am using icmp-jitter to measure it.

I can succesfully measure  the jitter values the devices in my network but even if i successfully icmp-echo to 8.8.8.8 i cant reach 8.8.8.8 with icmp-jitter. The reason why i try to test 8.8.8.8 is to reach far distances and monitor the values.  I can provide any information if its necessary . 

My successfull operations : 

IPSLA operation id: 2
Type of operation: icmp-jitter
Latest RTT: 1 milliseconds
Latest operation start time: 07:09:17 UTC Fri Jul 19 2024
Latest operation return code: OK
RTT Values:
Number Of RTT: 10 RTT Min/Avg/Max: 1/1/1 milliseconds
Latency one-way time:
Number of Latency one-way Samples: 0
Source to Destination Latency one way Min/Avg/Max: 0/0/0 milliseconds
Destination to Source Latency one way Min/Avg/Max: 0/0/0 milliseconds
Jitter Time:
Number of SD Jitter Samples: 9
Number of DS Jitter Samples: 9
Source to Destination Jitter Min/Avg/Max: 0/0/0 milliseconds
Destination to Source Jitter Min/Avg/Max: 0/1/1 milliseconds
Over Threshold:
Number Of RTT Over Threshold: 0 (0%)
Packet Late Arrival: 0
Out Of Sequence: 0
Source to Destination: 0 Destination to Source 0
In both Directions: 0
Packet Skipped: 0 Packet Unprocessed: 0
Packet Loss: 0
Loss Periods Number: 0
Loss Period Length Min/Max: 0/0
Inter Loss Period Length Min/Max: 0/0
Number of successes: 217
Number of failures: 0
Operation time to live: Forever

IPSLA operation id: 5
Latest RTT: 23 milliseconds
Latest operation start time: 07:08:51 UTC Fri Jul 19 2024
Latest operation return code: OK
Number of successes: 21
Number of failures: 0
Operation time to live: Forever

Thank you for your time .

Kind Regards ,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Possibly you've missed my point, which is, the issue could be on Google's end, or transit to/from it.  (BTW, not saying a XR is involved, but it's an example of a device which doesn't support it.)

I'm unsure I understand your 3rd point.  Are you saying icmp-jitter worked from another device to 8.8.8.8?

You mention, in your 4th point, icmp-echo works.  But believe that's comparing "apples to oranges".  I would expect destination host has to do "more" for icmp-jitter than for icmp-echo.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What switch model are you talking about ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello ,

C9300-48P

Thanks.

Let me check this point.

Update you today 

MHM

To understand more  , i did a icmp-jitter test to my virtual machine and it worked (in my network but my virtual machine is connected to another switch ) and i didnt do any config to my virtual machine . 

Thank you.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco notes:

"Restrictions for IP SLAs ICMP Jitter Operations

Cisco IOS-XR devices do not support ICMP Timestamp and hence all ICMP jitter operations to these devices fail."

Possibly similar restriction to non-Cisco devices.  Do you know what 8.8.8.8 device is?  Or, whatever other packet processing restrictions it might have?

1-My software is Cisco IOS-XE

2-8.8.8.8 is google public dns

3- I tested with my virtual machine ip and i got the values aswell.

4- For the other packet processing restrictions , ai says error happens maybe because of ACL or firewall , but its not about my firewall and i dont think it is related with ACL aswell because i can test icmp-echo

Possibly you've missed my point, which is, the issue could be on Google's end, or transit to/from it.  (BTW, not saying a XR is involved, but it's an example of a device which doesn't support it.)

I'm unsure I understand your 3rd point.  Are you saying icmp-jitter worked from another device to 8.8.8.8?

You mention, in your 4th point, icmp-echo works.  But believe that's comparing "apples to oranges".  I would expect destination host has to do "more" for icmp-jitter than for icmp-echo.

I agree issue maybe happens because of Google side but i also tried 1.1.1.1 and opendnsserver and those tries were unsuccessful aswell. Do u suggest that maybe i try different ip address? 

On my third point i tried to say that from my cisco switch i was able to get jitter values of my virtual machine which is connected to a different switch but in the same network.

For my 4th point , you are right , i am new to this stuff trying to understand , do you have any advice that i should try .

For advice, unless you're using Internet standards (and perhaps plain-Jane or vanilla standards), it can be very hit or miss what works externally to your network.

What you might try, do a traceroute to some public destination and then try your two SLA commands to transit IPs.

I did a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and it gave me output of 10 rows and i was able to icmp-jitter test to 3rd row . At the 4th row's ip i get the fail message. Do u suggest me to try different ip adress or anything else . how may i proceed ? Thank you for your time.

Is the 3rd row IP an internal or external address?

Did you try all the IPs after the 4th row?

Try doing a traceroute to some other destinations, ideally looking for another path.  Likey, all paths will begin the same, but if the icmp-jitter never gets a good response beyond a shared path IP, possibly that hop is doing something that breaks this particular function.

I cant say that if it is internal or external . 

I tried it and it all failed. 

I tried traceroute to 1.1.1.1 and path was same until the 6th row and in the 1.1.1.1 traceroute , i tried 10th row and this was too failed aswell. I guess the problem is with ISP . 

To simulate this , is it possible to do it with cisco packet tracer ?

Don't know if PT provides this feature, and even if it does, PT isn't always faithful to actual device operation, especially to the less used features.  (For accuracy of device features, an emulator that uses actual device IOS .bins is likely your best choice.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card