Views
Helpful
Replies

FAN PS-1 is FAULTY in WS-C3850

amralrazzaz
Level 5
Level 5

Hi ALL

i have 1 Switch WS-C3850-48P , when i typed show env all i got "FAN PS-1 is FAULTY" & "Failure-Fan" as following
May i ask about teh danger of this and how can i solve this ?
is that bug on software image and if i go for upgrade will solving issue ? if yes , so what i keep the status like this and not go for upgrade?
the temperature is okay and inside cooling room ? so what's the emergency of changing this FAN is incase if its really HW issue not SW (bug)

i do reload the switch twice time but same result ?
shall i remove the power cable from device and re connect again ? or nothing will happen?

SW3850-MR# show environment temperature
Switch 1: SYSTEM TEMPERATURE is OK

SW3850-MR# show environment temperature status
Temperature Value: 30 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 41 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold : 56 Degree Celsius

SW3850-MR#show environment stack
SWITCH: 1
Switch 1 FAN 1 is OK
Switch 1 FAN 2 is OK
Switch 1 FAN 3 is OK
FAN PS-1 is FAULTY
FAN PS-2 is OK

SW3850-MR#show environment power all
SW    PID                              Serial#         Status Sys      Pwr PoE   Pwr        Watts
-- ------------------ ---------- --------------- ------- ------- -----
1A     PWR-C1-1100WAC xxxxxxxxxxx   Failure-Fan        Good        Good    1100
1B    PWR-C1-1100WAC xxxxxxxxxxx      OK                   Good         Good  1100

SW3850-MR#show en
SW3850-MR#show environment fan
Switch 1 FAN 1 is OK
Switch 1 FAN 2 is OK
Switch 1 FAN 3 is OK
FAN PS-1 is FAULTY
FAN PS-2 is OK

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
1 56 WS-C3850-48P 03.02.03.SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTAL

amr alrazzaz
7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firmware is 3.2.X.  This is the first firmware release for the 3850.

Visually inspect the power supply.  There should be two GREEN LED per power supply.  If the Fan is faulty, one of those should be RED or amber.  If they are both GREEN, then  it could, potentially, be a bug.

@Leo Laohoo 

Firmware is 3.2.X.  This is the first firmware release for the 3850.

Visually inspect the power supply.  There should be two GREEN LED per power supply.  If the Fan is faulty, one of those should be RED or amber.  If they are both GREEN, then  it could, potentially, be a bug.

Dear i would like to inform you that both power supply leds all are green with no amber or red ! so in this case it could be ios version to upgrade maybe it fixing the bug ? or what you would say on this ?

amr alrazzaz

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

you're still good with PS1 providing PoE. just monitor its fan and temperature.

is the 3850 still under warranty/smartnet? try to raise a TAC case.

could you try:

-re-seat PS1 (it's hot-swap/OIR)

-reload the switch

-perform a code upgrade

Thanks for your response !

Is the switch under danger or it can functioning for sometime until fixing this issue ! i mean doesnt need urgent action as its located in different country !

Is this fault could be software issue (BUG) ? or HW issue ?  shall i have to change the power supply !

Im monitoring the temperature of the switch every day in different times and it seems fine !

i don't have Smartnet and im going to renew it shortly!

-re-seat PS1 (it's hot-swap/OIR)  --- do u mean to pull and remove then re install it again onside switch ??

-reload the switch 

-perform a code upgrade  -    do mean to upgrade the OS version ? or code upgrade something else ! 

HYG output for now :

SW3850-MR#show environment all
Switch 1 FAN 1 is OK
Switch 1 FAN 2 is OK
Switch 1 FAN 3 is OK
FAN PS-1 is FAULTY
FAN PS-2 is OK
SW PID Serial# Status Sys Pwr PoE Pwr Watts
-- ------------------ ---------- --------------- ------- ------- -----
1A PWR-C1-1100WAC ----------- Failure-Fan Good Good 1100
1B PWR-C1-1100WAC ------------OK Good Good 1100

SW3850-MR#show environment temperature status

PRTG Error:

SensorSystem Health Fans

Warning by lookup value 'Undefined lookup value (0)' in channel 'Fan 15 State (Switch 1 - FAN 1, Normal)' — Warning by lookup value 'Undefined lookup value (0)' in channel 'Fan 16 State (Switch 1 - FAN 2, Normal)' — Warning by lookup value 'Undefined lookup value (0)' in channel 'Fan 17 State (Switch 1 - FAN 3, Normal)' (The queries for the following channel IDs returned no data: 2,3,4 (code: PE269))

amr alrazzaz

Power supplies have fans to extract hot air out. 

This alarm says one of the two extraction fans, inside the power supply, is faulty.  

No one knows if this is a "legitimate" hardware fault or a software issue (because the switch is running an extremely ancient firmware version).

@Leo Laohoo

May i ask you incase if i go for upgrade the switch so can i do this upgrade remotely as im managing this remotely because its located in different country ,! if yes so no need to physical interaction during the upgrade with no lost of the saved configurations juts to not effecting the users with internet connection ! or shall i bring someone be at office and do the upgrade physically on ground ! 

Do u recommend this golden start version from cisco (cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin ) and can i jump from what i have current to this high version or shall i do several updates till reaching to the highest one ?

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284455428/type/282046477/release/Gibraltar-16.12.5b

and can i upgrade from 03.02.03.SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 to cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin  directly ??

your advice is highly recommended for me to execute!!  Thanks 

amr alrazzaz

@amralrazzaz wrote:

Do u recommend this golden start version from cisco (cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.12.05b.SPA.bin ) and can i jump from what i have current to this high version or shall i do several updates till reaching to the highest one ?

Do not, under any circumstances, upgrade to 16.12.X!!!

Upgrade to the latest 16.6.X or 16.9.X but avoid 16.12.X at all cost.  

Even upgrading to the latest 3.6.X is even better because, based on my experience, 3.6.X and even 3.7.X, are extremely reliable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card