Views
Helpful
Replies

Fancy QoS on ME3600X vs. Software Based Routers

ds6123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Suppose I have 20 remote sites each connected to a metro ethernet provider with a simple layer 2 vpn back to a single "hub site".

The hub site is where 99% of resources are (app servers, internet access, etc.).  So the actual traffic flow will be more of a hub and spoke design.  Although currently there's just a single vlan/subnet inside the VPN.

The metro ethernet provider limits each remote site to 10 Mb/s.  And the hub site is limited to the total speed of all remote sites (200 Mb/s).

Currently we have a really old (and way over-worked, over-subscribed) software based router at the hub site configured with hierarchical based qos, something like this, but with 20 sites/shapers, not just 2:

class-map match-any SITE-1-CM

match access-group name SITE-1-ACL

class-map match-any SITE-2-CM

match access-group name SITE-2-ACL

class-map match-any VOICE-RTP-CM

match access-group name VOICE-RTP-ACL

class-map match-any VOICE-SIG-CM

match access-group name VOICE-SIG-ACL

policy-map INNER-PM

class VOICE-RTP-CM

priority 256

class VOICE-SIG-CM

bandwidth 10

policy-map OUTER-PM

class SITE-1-CM

shape average 5000000

service-policy INNER-PM

class SITE-2-CM

shape average 5000000

service-policy INNER-PM

interface gi0/1

service-policy output OUTER-PM

So like I said above, the existing software based router at the hub is very old and massively over-subscribed.  I'm trying to figure out if the next logical step is to get a bigger software based router (ISR G2 3900 series or ASR 1k) or if maybe a metro ethernet switch would work (me3600x).

When I look at the datasheet for the me3600x, under qos it says:

• Up to 4000 egress queues per system

• Class-Based Weighted Fair Queuing (CBWFQ)

• Priority Queuing

• 2-rate 3-color (2R3C) ingress Policing, Egress Policing (1R2C) for LLQ

• Ingress and Egress marking (CoS, DSCP, MPLS Experimental Bits)

• Egress shaping per port and per queue

• Modular QoS CLI (MQC)

• 3-level H-QoS

• Classification based on inner and outer class of service (CoS) or VLAN ID

• Copy inner to outer CoS

• WRED

• IPV6 QoS

• Table Map

So I'm wondering if the me3600x can support the hierarchical qos design that the software based routers can do.  Based on the datasheet, config guide and command reference guide, I have too many remaining questions and don't want to find out the hard way that "surprise, you can't attach the policy map to the interface when feature x and y are configured at the same time"...

So my questions are:

1.  What exactly does the "3-level h-qos" mean regarding the me3600x?

2.  I'm thinking I can classify inbound traffic into qos-groups, then match the group on egress to shape.  Any limitations on that?  I see 100 qos groups are supported, so I would imagine that would be plenty.

3.  Any weird limitations bout having priority queueing enabled inside the other policies?

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card