cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX 2232pp connected to dual 5k. No connectivity.

ty.masse
Level 1
Level 1

I have a FEX connected to dual 5Ks. E1 & 2 connected to one switch, and E3 connected to the other configured in a VPC. However all the links on the FEX shows solid yellow status. They're all copper.

I decided to put a fiber SFP in the FEX to see if I see the laser coming out of it. Result: I don't see any laser transmitting from the SFP and all ports are in solid Yellow status.
However when I unplug the uplink going to the second switch, I could then see the laser light coming out of the SFP, and all the port LEDs turned off. I then plugged my laptop to the FEX and could get to the internet.
When I plugged the fiber back in, all port came back yellow and the laser on the sfp turned off and I loose connectivity.

Something it doesn?t like, but I don?t know what. Requesting help from the user community.

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The config does look correct at quick glance.

I do see you are running NX-OS 5.1.(3)N1(1) - that was the first release to support the enhanced VPC for dual-homed FEXes. So it doesn't surprise me they are advising you upgrade.

We are mostly advising customers currently on 5k's to run NX-OS 5.2(1)N1(5) as of this time (October 2013).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Has it ever worked?

You have a FEX with three connections - 2 to one 5k and 1 to the other? That's not a standard supported configuration - the connections should be the same to each 5k, as should the 5k switchports used to uplink to the FEX.

Is this intended to be an active-active deisgn? Please look at the VPC Design guide and try to match your setup with one of the recommded designs.

That's puzzling. What if I lost one of my links? I shouldn't loose connectivity. I should stay up even if I loose a whole switch. By the way I have them set up in a VPC. This is a new install so it's not in production yet. What do you think?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Have you configured VPC peer link and VPC keep alive between the 5ks?

What is the output of "sh vpc" and "sh fex"

Can you post sh run?

HTH

Re your question about losing a switch or link, yes the FEXes shoud remainup.

However, for them to come up properly in the first place you need to have a correct configuration in place or else NX-OS will detect the issue and fail to bring up the FEX in a non-workble configuration.

In addition to Reza's suggestions, also look at "show vpc consistency-parameters global"

In RE: to Marvin, I added another connection as suggested with no changes. 

In RE: to Reza attached are the show commands.

I also have a TAC case open and they're recommending that I upgrade the NX-OS.

Let me know if you guys find out anything, and I'll let you know if upgrading resolves the issue.

thanks,

The config does look correct at quick glance.

I do see you are running NX-OS 5.1.(3)N1(1) - that was the first release to support the enhanced VPC for dual-homed FEXes. So it doesn't surprise me they are advising you upgrade.

We are mostly advising customers currently on 5k's to run NX-OS 5.2(1)N1(5) as of this time (October 2013).

Thanks for your help.  upgrading to NX-OS 5.2(1)N1(5) resolved the issue.

Good news.

Thanks for the update and the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card