Helpful
Replies

FEX AA Version Mismatch after upgrade N5k 5548

Brutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question.

Went from version 5.2(1)N1(9) to version: 7.0(8)N1(1) with 'install all' on the nexus 5548.

After the reload nexus was on the new version.

I could see the version where the fex was still on: version 5.2(1)N1(9).

When issuing the command show fex, I saw this:

N5548-001# sh fex
  FEX         FEX           FEX              FEX              Fex
Number    Description      State            Model            Serial
------------------------------------------------------------------------
101        FEX0101   AA Version Mismatch    N2K-C2232PP-10GE   xxx
102        FEX0102   AA Version Mismatch    N2K-C2232PP-10GE   xxx
103        FEX0103   AA Version Mismatch   N2K-C2248TP-E-1GE   xxx
104        FEX0104   AA Version Mismatch   N2K-C2248TP-E-1GE   xxx

So far so good, I thought a fex reload would upgrade the fex and than done.

Unfortunately, the fex is not visible:

N5548-001# reload fex 101
FEX 101 is not present.

Who knows what I am doing wrong here??

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In the following post, forummember 'Logan' gives the best explanation in his first reply, on how to upgrade N5k switches with Fexes, which are dual homed.

I tested it and it went flawless from OS version 5.2, to 7.0, whereafter I upgraded to 7.1. Cisco never returned with an answer how to perform the upgrade and wether to go from 5.2 to 6.x first as Reza suggested in responce to my initial question. Is there even a 6.x version for the Nexus, as I could not find it on the download section of the Cisco site.?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/nexus-5548up-issu-upgrade/td-p/2650706

"Hi Joris.

You can "minimize" disruption during a non-ISSU upgrade of your two 5Ks, as long as the FEXes are dual-homed to the 5Ks via vPC, which sounds like they are. The process works like this... (press above link for full reply).."

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Generally speaking for most Nexus platforms you con't go directly from 5.x to 7.x without and upgrade patch of 5.x to 6.x and than 7.x.  Here is the upgrade path for the 5k series:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/702_N1_1/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_700.html#pgfId-640981

Also, if the upgrade is successful, you don't need to reboot the FEX manually. After the parent switch is upgraded, it will push the OS to the FEX and the FEX will reboot on its own.

HTH

Thank you Reza for your answer.

It was recommended by Cisco to go from 5.2 train via 7.0(8)N1(1) first.

And than go to the recommended 7.1(4)N1(1).

With the following link you can see In table 6 that 5.2 is able to go to 7.0(8) at once, without going to a 6 version first:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/release/notes/7x/Nexus5500_Release_Notes_7x.html#Supported%20Upgrade%20and%20Downgrade%20Paths%20for%20Cisco%20NX-OS%20Release%207.1(4)N1(1)

And I must say, the upgrade went perfect, the switch came back in minutes. The only thing that did not work were the Fexes.

I am seeing this mismatch error as well. I have a Nexus 7710 running 6.2(6) and obtained a N2K-C2148T-1GE out of storage to add to this:

102   AA Version Mismatch      N2K-C2148T-1GE

FEX version: 4.1(3)N1(1) [Switch version: 6.2(6)]
FEX Interim version: 4.1(3)N1(0.191)
Switch Interim version: 6.2(6)
Module Sw Gen: 20 [Switch Sw Gen: 21]

There is no configuration for this new FEX and I surely don't want to have to downgrade my 7K - so how do I force the upgrade to the FEX? I tried an 'install all' for grins but since the FEX has not actually attached yet, it was not listed as part of the upgradable parts.

In the following post, forummember 'Logan' gives the best explanation in his first reply, on how to upgrade N5k switches with Fexes, which are dual homed.

I tested it and it went flawless from OS version 5.2, to 7.0, whereafter I upgraded to 7.1. Cisco never returned with an answer how to perform the upgrade and wether to go from 5.2 to 6.x first as Reza suggested in responce to my initial question. Is there even a 6.x version for the Nexus, as I could not find it on the download section of the Cisco site.?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/nexus-5548up-issu-upgrade/td-p/2650706

"Hi Joris.

You can "minimize" disruption during a non-ISSU upgrade of your two 5Ks, as long as the FEXes are dual-homed to the 5Ks via vPC, which sounds like they are. The process works like this... (press above link for full reply).."

According to the TAC engineer we worked with you are not supposed to go from 5.2.1 directly to 7 but go to 6 first.  There is a version 6 (in fact 2 IOS versions if I remember correctly) and then go to 7.  I believe this is documented but if not TAC should be able to guide you on the process.

7.0(6)N1(1) <-- 6.0(2)N1(2a) <-- 5.2(1)N1(9a)  is how it should go based on what I found in my email notes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card