cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX Backplane Speeds

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

What s the fabric speed (backplane speed) of a Nexus 2232 10G EX?

What is the forwarding rate (Mpps) of the same 2232 FEX?

Cant find this info on the data sheets.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

The FEX does not have backplane. When a packet goes from one of its port to another, it first goes up to the parent switch, then comes back.

The Fabric Speed on the datasheet is the total speed of the uplinks (8x 10 GbE).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Thx

That doesnt give me th einformation I asked for. I asked for a 2232 (10G). I need the full backplane speed.

If it is non-blocking, it should be 800 Gbps full duplex - 40 10G ports=400Gbps. Full duplex=800Gbps

Sorry, I meant table-4 in that link

look for fabric speed, oversubscribtion and performance

HTH

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

The FEX does not have backplane. When a packet goes from one of its port to another, it first goes up to the parent switch, then comes back.

The Fabric Speed on the datasheet is the total speed of the uplinks (8x 10 GbE).

Thx, Reza.

Andras, I think you hit the nail on th head. I was thinking of the FEX as though it were a switch, but I should not have because there is no server to server flows. In other words, all downlinks are pinned to uplinks, so the fabric speed depends only on the uplinks. So, the FEX can never be non-blocking, either from an oversubscription perspective (it will always be 4:1 at best), or from a backplane perspective, because it does not really have a backplane in the manner we are used to thinking when evaluating whether a switch is non-blocking or not.

Am I on target with my thinking?

You got it right.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card